Chapter 15

-Will's perspective-

It was already the next day. Yesterday felt like such a blur. Everything went by so fast. I wouldn't be able to tell you if it was due to anxiety or the fact that I actually had fun.

At the current moment, Robin's trying to catch me up on everything that I missed. Of course, not until after she chewed me out on how reckless I was and how I could possibly lose my scholarship.

But I can't help but think about what she told me that Mike said... that he thought I was different...I mean...he probably doesn't think that anymore. Not after the stunt that I pulled today.

"The whole class was basically a whole info dump about band camp fundraising and..." Robin snapped her head towards my direction with a grimace. "are you even listening?"

"Oh! I am I swear. Fundraising for Band Camp? What is that?" I leaned in to try and convince her that I had been listening all along.

"Mhm...." Robin sighed before taking a bite of the broccoli on her plate and squinting at me. Once she finished she continued on "I guess it's like everything to band kinds. The Seniors went on and on about how amazing it is like Nancy was all 'That's where love blooms and rivalries clash! Where everyone gets their shit together and like everything happens at band camp!'"

    As much as I wanted to listen to her, my mind kept going back to Mike. Did I really hurt him that badly by skipping school just once? Was he being dramatic or am I the villain?

Robin sighed again before shaking her head. "Do you wanna talk about what Mike said more or something? Why do you keep toning out?"

I felt the outer corners of my mouth drag down as I tried to take deep breaths. "I'm a terrible person...aren't I?"

Robin placed her hand on my shoulder and lightly moved her thumb across the back of it. "I mean...it was a douche move...but I don't think that makes you a terrible person. I think a lot of people would get peer pressured into an escapade with Steve Harrington."

My eyes wandered to behind her as she spoke. Mike and Jane were walking together. She laughed loudly before hitting him in the shoulder lightly.

"CRAP! ROBIN. HE'S HERE. HIDE ME." I awkwardly ducked my head to be behind her to one of the most awkward slouching positions.

"You...haven't talked with him yet?" Robin lifted one of her eyebrows before she tried to push me out of hiding position.

"No...but I know I should...I just..." I quickly tried to duck to hide at a better position.

Robin turned to face them with a wide smile. "Well...now's your chance! They're heading over here right now!"

As I looked up, sure enough, she was correct. Jane and Michael were walking in our direction...and fast. "What am I going to say? Robin?!"

Robin awkwardly shrugged as they briskly walked past us. Without even a look. They were...distracted with each other.

Now that I think about it...those two are always alone together.

Are they...dating?

Jane turned her head slightly to look at me. Her smile quickly fell from her previous expression to glare at me with one of the most intimidating looks I've ever seen.

She quickly went back to a smile as she turned to lean back onto Mike's shoulder.

How...could I be so blind?

-Jane's perspective-

There's this boy I like. He may seem...well...harsh to others. But he is blunt. I can rely on him telling the truth...but I know he's more than that.

He's patient, sensitive, and most importantly...

He knows what it's like to feel like you're drowning.

It must be fate that we met. He transferred to Hawkins Private the same year that I enrolled. Every single day I feel so lucky to have him around me.

Even though band is the only class we have together this semester, I was more than willing to suffer through it. Even with us being in different sections, at least we can see each other across the room.

During that magical summer, we got as close as friends could be. We talked about everything. How he was a piano prodigy as well, how he stayed calm while he played, how he had to change to Hawkins Private, and so much more.

We were inseparable. Every minute was spent together to my father's dismay. Nancy, Steve and I got close as well during this time, so I would have a lot of sleep overs in Nancy's room.

We'd spend hours talking the nights and days away. The field was honestly my favorite of them all...we'd stay there until it was dark, and even then, we'd look at the stars. The way that they shone on his hair and eyes...

I don't know. I wished that we would stay that way. And it was that way!

But then...William showed up.

Not a single day goes by that I don't feel his presence. Ever since those stupid flyers...He's all that Mike talks about.

We used to talk about everything...but ever since Will showed...every single conversation ends up back to him.

He used to help me out with piano...

But now....Now he takes priority over me. Even during the wait time before my lesson. He couldn't and wouldn't wait for me. Will was...more important.

He's always doing so much for him...

And he doesn't even APPRECIATE it.

Thankfully, karma is catching up with him. He's shown Mike his true colors.

He's lazy. He's unmotivated. He's SELFISH.

Mike deserves...more than that.

"Say... Mike?" I leaned further into his shoulder to smile up at him.

"Yeah?"

"Let's finish working on our duet to show your mother by the weekend!"

"Good idea. We should really get on that." Mike smiled down at me.

Finally...

Things can get back to normal.