Chapter 13

-Mike's perspective-

    "No no it sounds like you're doing it right!" I felt a smile pull onto my face. "You just have to not second guess yourself!"

   "Yeah...I suppose you're right. Thanks for being available." Will responded through the other end.

    "Okay. I gotta go but if you have any other questions don't hesitate to call again, alright?"

    "Okay. Thank you. Have fun with whatever you're doing."

   "I'll try. You too."

    After that, there was a click from the other side to show that he had hung up. I then brought my attention back over to Jane.

   "Tutoring?" She smiled as I sat back next to her on the piano bench.

   "Yeah...sorry for the interruption."

   "No! It's completely fine! Is he improving at all?"

   "Surprisingly yes!" I smiled back at her. "Just...very slowly."

   "Should we continue where we left off?" Jane looked between me and the piano.

    I slowly nodded and began to play the keys again. She came in for her time with absolute precision. It was clear that piano was her skill.

  "Thanks for waiting with me...you really didn't have to. What's taking Phil so long today?" She was able to perfectly play even while talking with me. She had this duet memorized like the back of her hand.

   "Well...Holly woke up with a fever. My Mom had to run a few errands...his hands are pretty full until she gets back. I'm honestly surprised he didn't just reschedule your lesso-"

   "So sorry for the wait Jane!" The sound of stomping came towards us. As we both looked up, it was Phil in a sweat.

  "No biggie. I had good company...as usual." She smiled at me with a smile that could melt even the most solid ice.

   Phil stepped between the two of us and placed his hands on our shoulders "You two need to show me that duet you've been working on sometime! The part I heard sounded great!"

   The room stayed silent as me and Jane awkwardly stared at each other. "Anyways...Mike. Get out."

   I nodded and waved to Jane "See you at school tomorrow?"

  "Y-yeah..."

-Will's perspective-

   I anxiously watched as he marked the page with my answers from last night's homework. I've been asking for help way more than I used to. I hope it showed.

   "Congrats. You only got one wrong this time...real improvement from yesterday. I gotta be honest, I didn't think you'd make it anywhere. But hey. You're making serious improvements. Good job, William."

    I felt my cheeks warm up at the compliment...that and he used my complete name. No one ever does that. Why did he do that?

   "Does that mean I can audition for Jazz Band next semester?" I smiled widely.

   "No way in hell. You're getting better but not that great." Mike awkwardly laughed. "You need so much more practice to even consider that. But don't lose hope. We just started. It could change."

   "What if we practiced more?" I blurt out. "6 days instead of 5? Both of us trying harder?"

   "Most of my life after school has been consumed by creating these lesson plans. Our current arrangement is perfect as is. I don't think you'd want to see me more than you currently do anyways."