Chapter 16

-Will's perspective-

"Well...was it worth it?" I heard a voice come from my doorway. As I got up, I saw that it was Jonathan. He was leaning against the door frame with a disappointed look on his face. "Possibly losing your scholarship over Steve Harrington?"

   "What?" I felt like my heart was being scrunched. Anxiety overwhelming me by the second. "How do you know about that?"

   "Well, for starters, you weren't in band. We share that class period together...and second, the school called. Left a voicemail."

   I quickly got out of bed and headed over to him "they left a voicemail?"

   "Yeah. Mom doesn't know about it though. I deleted it and called back saying you were sick...but god..." Jonathan sighed before running his hand down from his forehead to his mouth. "I won't lie to you and say that I'm happy. I'm far from it...but I won't lecture you. I don't want to be that type of person...just...don't do it again, alright?"

   I nodded and Jonathan walked out of the room and shut the door behind him. I took a deep breath before staring at the ceiling again. He didn't need to lecture me...I was already punishing myself.

   He thought I was different.

-Time skip to school-

   As the music around me flowed so easily, I couldn't help but feel behind. Every time that I thought I was doing great, I was on the wrong count, or doing the wrong notes....

    Why do I even bother? I'm just dragging everyone down with me. The concert is coming up quicker and quicker and I'm no where near the level of everyone else.

   As I played the notes that I believed we were on, I felt someone's eyes pinned on me. As I looked around the room, they met with Mike's. Mike sending me an upset glare before turning back towards the conductor and playing on.

   He must hate my guts...and honestly...I don't blame him. I hate my guts too.

   The music got to an end as the bell rang for class to be over. Mrs. K instructing all of the kids to start to clean up...

   But I didn't have the motivation. I couldn't move. I felt paralyzed. What am I even doing here...I'm just letting everyone down...

"Will...is everything okay?" Mrs K came out of nowhere to my side to kneel down to my eyesight.

"I'm sorry Mrs. K I'll get moving." I sighed as I tried to get up from my chair but she pushed me back down.

"Come on. Talk with me, William. I heard you had a falling out with Mike...does that have anything to do with this?"

"Yeah...I mean it's all my fault though...it just...piled up out of nowhere...and now I don't have anyone to talk with about my questions or concerns..." I sunk my head to stare at the carpet. "and now I'm not feeling motivated to even try to catch up"

Mrs. K brought her face to within my eyesight and smiled softly. "While this is not preferred...try and think of it as a learning opportunity. It's completely normal to lose motivation in something. Even the most interesting and fun things can get tiresome. Learning a new instrument, especially at your age, is super tricky! Give yourself some credit."