Chapter 24

-Will's perspective-

   As everyone was cleaning up their stands and chairs, the only thing I could think about was my failed attempt at becoming friends with Jane.

Even at the table, she wanted nothing to do with me. All because I have feelings for the same person that she's been trying to get with this entire time.

While I might not stand a chance against her, I have faith that if he hasn't asked her out yet, that he won't.

I was lost in my own thoughts of the impossible position that I had put myself into. Why would I make this romance a love triangle? Everyone thinks that him and Jane would go be-

"Will!"

I was quickly shot out of my thoughts as my head shot towards the sound. Mike was at the opposite door frame smiling.

"Oh...are you waiting for Jonathan? He wanted to ask the sectional person more questions, so it might be a little bit until you can meet up with him..."

"No, I was uh...actually waiting for you." Mike's smile grew before leaning forward at the doorframe separating us two.

My heart jumped at the implications. He waited...to talk with me? "Really?"

"Are you...surprised? Did you forget about the plan we made?" Mike's expression slowly fading from the brightness it was. "I need to give back-"

I felt the lightbulb click, but it was embarrassing to say the least that I thought this would be something more. "The homework! Yeah!"

"Yeah...that." Mike sighed before getting out of the leaning position that he was in.

"I don't know how it went over my head" I smiled up at him "The homework sessions are really important to me" yeah...he only tolerates me because of the homework. That's our relationship.

Mike took a step to be outside of the previous room to lean against the wall and slide down it before patting the seat next to him. "Sit with me"

I awkwardly obliged and put myself into the criss cross applesauce position as he pulled out the homework book I've learned to love.

He flipped through the pages delicately as if he would rip what we've been working so hard to accomplish. With every page, it showed the progress we've made. With ever-

"Ow" Mike whispered before shaking his hand. And continuing to flip through the pages. Blood starting to stain the pages at the corners.

"Did you give yourself a paper cut?" I quickly grabbed my music binder within my backpack.

"Yeah. It's fine. Happens all the time" Mike sighed before bringing his hand to his mouth.

I quickly grabbed it before he could stick his finger into his mouth. "I have bandaids. No need to use saliva"

As I opened my music binder, the pocket of the cover showed a pile of bandaids inside. "You carry around bandaids with your music?" Mike's smile made a come back with the question.

"Of course! I always get paper cuts and so does everyone around me...so I like to be able to help them." I smiled back before pulling a bandaid out of the sleeve. "Show me the cut, I'll put it on!"

    "No...just...pass one over. I'll do it myself" Mike's cheeks turning red at even the suggestion before opening the palm of his hand up for the bandage.

    "All by yourself...? With those big hands?" I let out a laugh before grabbing the bandage out of the wrapping. "Please?"

   Mike's face turned into a frown before tilting the cut towards me. "For the record...you have big hands too, Will Byers."

   "Never said I have small ones" I laughed as I finished the wrap around.

   "Your hands are...warm." Mike slowly mumbled. It was a miracle I even heard it.

    As I looked towards our hands, I noticed that it was practically like we were holding hands...a weird way to do it, for sure, but we were. It was too bold of me to even offer to bandage him, wasn't it? This is too close for a student teacher dynamic...I felt my face start to heat to unbearable temperatures.

    I quickly let go to smile at him "there you go...mr cold holds! It's all better! Sorry if it's a bit...of a girlie bandage, it's the cheapest one my mom would find..."

   Mike's face fell quickly after I said anything. I...shouldn't have done this...he probably feels violated...or even worse...he feels like he can't trust me!

    "Thank you, Will." Mike faked a smile before starting to get up "I'm sorry we didn't get anything done, but I suppose we can review in the cabin, yeah?"

    "Yeah" I quickly responded before using the wall to help myself up.

     The walk to the practice room was silent. It didn't have a single word between the two of us. Not even small talk like the weather...I messed up.

    "Hey, the woodwinds are in a different area, so I'm going to help Jane out and set up her stuff, okay?" Mike pointed over to the stands and chairs in the corner of the new room.

    I nodded before placing my instrument down to get it out of it's case.

   In all honesty, I couldn't help but feel jealous of Jane. She had him thinking about her from the get go to set up her stand. Maybe if I wasn't already here he would do the same, but I...can't help but accept the fact that they would be such a great couple...

   I feel like I'm in the way of that...and I hate it.

-Mike's perspective-

   "Thanks Mike!" Jane quickly ran up to the chair I had set up for her.

   I smiled back before sending her a nod and a wave of my hand to gesture that it's no big deal "what are friends for, right?"

   "What's with the bandaid?" She slowly tilted her head before grabbing onto my hand to examine it. "Did you get hurt?"

    "No, at least not badly" I laughed awkwardly. "Will put it on after I got a paper cut...that dork. I told him I was fine but, he insisted."

   "That's...nice." Jane sighed before taking the seat next to her.

   "Yeah....I think so too" Even though my father's words tried to make its way up... I loved the girly bandaid. Even if he would hate it. Because...Will gave it to me.