Chapter 26

As I walked down the hallway to the practice room, I wanted to tear Jane off of me and go running after Will like I had promised to do. To protect him from guys like Steve. To make it so that Will didn't have any negative association with band camp. He had been looking forward to it for so long, and if Steve had messed that up for him, I don't think that I would be able to forgive him or myself.

Even if I did go, I wouldn't even know where to look. There are at least fifteen different cabins that I can think of off the top of my head. Some of them being girls areas that I would for sure get into serious trouble for- even if my intentions were pure- by looking around.

I let out a long sigh and Jane squeezed onto my arm tighter. "Mike, you really need a break. When was the last time you truly allowed yourself to breathe? This summer?" Her eyes shone up at me, showing her doe like brown color.

"I take time to myself all the time! Like on the bus when I was creating a lesson for Will, or playing dungeons and dragons with the club...jeez when was the last time we had a successful get together? Uh...when I listened to music that Will suggested, and practicing! Those are all relaxing to me." I smiled down at her as I quickened our pace towards the practice room.

"No! I mean like when we looked at the stars in the field. When we'd talk for hours about everything and nothing. You can't tell me that you don't miss that. I mean come on. I miss that every day. The sense of not having to care about anything but the current moment." Jane leaned her head onto my shoulder gently. "When it was just you and me."

I took a deep breath before opening the door to the room, having to remove Jane's head from me in the process. "It's not that I don't miss it. I really enjoyed our time getting to know each other, but during the school year, there's just not time. Especially if I wish to keep this band afloat. That means spending every moment I can making it better."

Jane's face fell before nodding in agreement "You're right. We have to do everything that we can to keep Mrs. K employed. No matter what it costs. Even if that means that we can't have some alone time for a while."

I nodded back before pulling out a chair for her to sit on in the corner. Hopefully, others would join her later so she wasn't alone simply watching jazz band.

"Mike!" My Mom quickly brought me into a hug that I managed to escape from as soon as I could. "I purposefully brought you in early so you didn't have to worry about that, you know." Mrs. K sighed before waving to Jane who quickly put her head into her phone. "Did I do well?"

"Do well on what? Master Class Sectionals? Yeah! Those were amazing! I learned new ways to review with Will for him to get better along the way. He's been making serious improvements! If only you could see his ho-"

"As excited as I am that you guys aren't tearing each other apart, I was talking about the cabin arrangement. Steve insisted on being with Eddie for this trip, and I know that you and Eddie get along, but he was taken...so I went with the next person on the list, who you've been spending some time with. I can try to change things up. I could bunk you with Dustin if you hate it."

"Mom. It hasn't even been one night." I sighed before looking around. "We'll see how it goes...but honestly I'm glad you gave me Will. He says he wants to practice before curfew."

"We'll see about that. Most people are pretty pooped out after the first day's journey, the practicing, and the fun surprise I set up." Mrs K smiled widely before setting her stand up for the practice.

"Surprise? There's a surprise? Can I know?"

"No! That's the whole meaning of surprise! To be dazzled away with how great I am at guessing what you all would need year to year."