Chapter 19

-Mike's perspective-

   Today's the day. The day where I get to see if all the hard work that we've been putting into practicing and memorizing has paid off.

   Will and I had spent the entire time after school in the band room practicing...and god was I starving. The concert was at 7 and the last thing I ate was at 12.

   I stared at myself in the mirror as I straightened out the red tie that my mom had suggested I wear. I didn't understand why she was so insistent on this particular tie for tonight. We even almost got into a dispute since Jane wished for me to wear blue but my mom...being stubborn insisted on red.

   I was hit with realization as Will came in with a red tie on as well sending me an awkward smile. "I guess we match."

  "I guess so..." I felt my face slightly heat up at the words. Was this her intention...?

   "I asked for Mrs. K's help on dress attire. I don't really...have anything outside of...the school uniform. So she let me use..."

    My eyes quickly focused on the tie he was wearing causing my face to drop. The feeling...I wished it was positive...but it wasn't. "My father's tie."

    "It's...your dad's? I thought it was Phil's." He started to frantically pull on the knot to try and loosen it around his neck. "I can take it off"

   "No...it's...it's fine." I forced a smile onto my face. I couldn't allow the negative thoughts from it effect how I saw him. That wasn't fair. To me....to him...

    "I mean it, Mike." He continued to pull the knot looser "I saw how you looked when you realized the tie I was wearing. I can just use my school uniform tie."

   I quickly grabbed onto his hand to show him a smile. This time more genuine. "It's fine, Will. I promise. Your school uniform tie would look terrible with the outfit you put together for the tie. Just...wear the tie."

   "Are you sure?"

   "Certain. I can excuse my thoughts...but I can't excuse a fashion disaster." I slowly removed Will's hand from the tie to straighten it for him. "It's an important night after all...right?"

   "It's the fundraiser concert" Will softly smiled "we only have our families to impress practically."

   "That's not true." I looped the tie back through. "There's going to at least be one new face. One new face who'll see us and think...wow. I'd like to be part of that next year."

    "Since when did you want new members?"

    "I always did...I just wanted them motivated. Willing to learn."

    "I must've been a slap to the face then" Will laughed as I finished up his tie.

    I quickly shook my head to look over the outfit again. This time in a positive light. "The opposite. You're a success story." I softly smiled at him. "You just have to prove it out there...can you do that?"

   "Yeah...I think I can, actually."

   "Good...now go out there and show them what you can do."

-Jane's perspective-

   More and more people crowded through the the auditorium. Causing my brain to become more and more full.

    It'll be just like the piano recital, Jane.

   Everyone will see you screw up, Jane.