Chapter 10

-Mike's perspective-

      How am I going to do this? I mean I've never been a teacher before. I just know the instruments. I've never had to worry. I easily pick up instruments with little help.

     How am I supposed to go about teaching someone who isn't as quick and struggles to pick things up? I somehow helped in the past...but that was such a long time ago.

     So much I needed to do with him...

     I needed to fix and set his embouchure correctly...then make sure he understands preliminary music theory, time signatures, counting beats, reading notes...god this is overwhelming.

   Can I do this without overwhelming him as well?

    I don't want this to be something he ends up hating due to me. His motivation and passion was not something to be blinked at. If I was the thing that diminished it, I don't think I'd be able to forgive myself.

    I sighed before placing my head into my palms and flopping onto the bed. Why was this my burden? Couldn't mom just...do this? She's the teacher...

    A light knock came on my door before it was slowly creaked open.

    I leaned slightly forward to see my mother's boyfriend smiling at the doorframe. "Hey...do you need any more books? I got a bunch at my place just lying around to be used"

   I softly shook my head before looking at the open books sprawled across my bed. God I made a mess... "This should be enough...thanks for letting me borrow your stuff, Phil."

   "Yeah, any time, kiddo. Don't be afraid to ask for more if need be, okay?" His smile grew slightly bigger before patting the door frame.

    What a drastic difference from before.

    I felt the outer corners of my mouth raise into a smile. A sincere one. "Okay"

-Will's perspective-

     We had made it to Steve's house successfully and he had drove me back to my house. However, Jonathan got dropped off by Argyle at the same time.

    As Jonathan opened the car door, their eyes met and Jonathan sent him a questioning squint.

    "Well...it was nice talking with you, Will. You're pretty cool...we could...hang out sometime?" Steve leaned towards me from his drivers seat with a smile.

     I nodded slowly as he waved goodbye and pulled out of the driveway. I had a friend. And that friend...was one of the most popular people in school.

    I gasped when I realized that I didn't say anything other than a nod and cupped my hands around the sides of my mouth "GET HOME SAFE!"

    Steve lifted one of his hands into the air to give a thumbs up as he drove away.

    Jonathan slowly walked up to me with skeptical eyes. Argyle squinting at me as well in the distance in the drivers seat of his pizza van.

    "Since when are you and Steve close?" He slowly leaned in to get a closer look at me. "And why are you so late to get back home? You said D&D would end an hour and a half ago and I know for sure the bus doesn't take that long..."

   "OH MY GOD DID YOU GO TO ONE OF HIS PARTIES?" he lifted up my hair to try and get a closer look at my eyes. "I really hope it's a no. Mom would kill both you and me..."