Chapter 23

-Mike's perspective-

    Calm down. He's just a friend. It would be like getting placed with Jane. I don't understand why I'm freaking out so much. Me and Will are friends...this is a good cabin arrangement. "So we're cabinmates?"

   "I guess so" Will laughed lightly. "That works though! We can get more practice in in our cabins between lessons!"

    "I guess you're right about that...band camp already has a lot of practice, Will...but if you still want to after it, I'm more than willing to help you."

   My mind went back to what Jane had told me on the bus. You only have to wait a little longer until he's out of your life for good. "But like...the more practice the better...you still have a lot to improve on and with my help we can totally get there by the end of the year"

"End...of the year? You really think it'll take that long, Mike? I thought I was doing some solid progress..."

"You are! But I can't really say you've graduated from my help probably until then." I let out a small laugh before making eye contact with Will. "Possibly into even next year who knows"

"Oh...well...um...good to know." Will sighed before placing his suitcase under the bed that he had chosen. "We should...probably get to breakfast, yeah?"

    Will was quiet after that. Even on the walk, I tried to spark up conversation but he was in his own world...that is until he saw Jane.

   His eyes lit up as he ran up to her. Maybe he was taking my advice seriously. Jane really isn't that scary. She's just a tough exterior.

   "Would you want to sit with us during breakfast?" I couldn't help but smile. He had way more courage than I ever would. I cannot say that him and Jane are close...and from the looks of it, they for the most part only tolerate each other... so the fact that he would even ask...

   There's the warmth again. The feeling I couldn't understand. The feeling...I only got with Will. Was it comfort?

   "Thanks but no thanks" Jane smiled back before making eye contact with me. "I think Mike wanted to sit with me for breakfast"

   "Oh I-" Will started before Jane walked past him to be by my side.

   "Oh." The warmth quickly went away as she linked arms with me. She easily found her way to be near me without even a second thought. "I was actually planning on going over the homework I created on the bus"

   Will's face lit up as he ran to be close to me as well, occasionally brushing arms against each other as we walked. "I can't believe you finished it so fast!"

  "Well there was a lot of time on the bus..." the warmth was back. Even with the two of them there.

  "How did I do...probably terrible with the news you gave me at the cabin, huh?" Will sighed as he opened the door to the hall and held it open for both of us to walk through first.

   "No, you're making serious improvement. There's still room to grow, so... don't get too excited...but you did good." I smiled over to him from behind me.

   "Well I'm glad. I even triple checked my work"

   "Well, we'll go over it before first band class, okay? Where to improve and all that." I quickly grabbed a tray as me and Jane made eye contact. She didn't look happy.

   "Attention, everyone! I hope you're enjoying your breakfast!" Mrs. K was beaming even though she woke up at god knows how early before making us wake up too. "Welcome to camp...officially! If you can pull out your schedules I'd like to review some things with you!"

   The sound of papers ruffling filled the room as everyone grabbed their schedule that they had tucked away earlier. "The first event I am super excited about! We're doing our very first sectional! That means we'll be splitting up into different groups depending on what you do. There's the Brass, woodwinds, and percussion. Each will be taught by a professional in the field! Be respectful and be sure to ask lots of questions to take advantage of such an amazing opportunity!" Mrs K smiled once more before putting the microphone back onto the stand it was previously on.

    "Michael, doesn't your father live not too far from here?" Jane leaned her head onto her hands to look at me with admiration that I felt I didn't deserve. Especially with my father as the topic at hand.

   "Yeah, he lives further up than this but yeah." I didn't like this conversation. It made me feel a pit in my stomach that I'd been trying for so long to go away.

   "That sounds so beautiful. I've always wanted to live around here too!" Jane giggled before stabbing her fork into a cluster of eggs.

   "The city is better, in my opinion" I sighed before using my fork to stir the food that's on my plate.

   The sound of a chair skidding quickly sent me out of my thoughts. "I uh, forgot something in the cabin...so I'll see you guys in a bit, okay?"

   Jane smiled before nodding at Will who scurried off.

  "Pity he left." My eyes met with Jane's as she smiled back towards me. "Do you think it's my fault he left? That he didn't actually forget something? I don't know how to talk with him without bringing up practice or band...I've just been...so awkward." I placed my face into the palms of my hands "am I just an awkward person?"

   "NO!" Jane quickly shouted but then lowered her tone "you're not awkward, I just don't think you two's personalities well...match. Like ours, it's easy to talk with each other...you feel comfortable around me, right?"

   "I think so" I quickly responded as I lifted my head to look at her. She was smiling from ear to ear.

   "I feel the same way, Mike. I just don't think you two are compatible."

   "I...I guess you might be right"

   Once sectionals came along, I chose to stay with the brass to see how Will was doing. The instructor...went over things that I wouldn't even think to bring up.

   This brought up a point I had never thought to before.

   I can't teach him everything. There's only so much I know from personal use. Soon he's going to want to branch out from me. Learn from other places...and even though it doesn't come naturally to him...if he keeps going at this...

   You only have to wait a little longer until he's out of your life for good.

   Eventually, I'll be out of his life...

   For good.