06

Bradley sat up all night

Bradley sat up all night. His thoughts battling on another.

On one hand he loved Tucker Benjamin. She was truly the love of his life. Yet, the tiny little devil on his shoulder convinced him she was out of his league. Surely she had found a new lover on the ship.

She was a gorgeous girl and he was just - just the wide-eyed naval aviator with a horrible mustache he couldn't part with.

She hadn't talked to him in months. Though he knew she had been going through something. Having lost a wingman. On her orders.

He couldn't imagine the guilt she had been feeling. Even if it wasn't her fault, anyone would blame themself.

He nervously looked over his appearance in the mirror. He then grabbed the flowers and the small box off the desk.

He didn't have a far walk. Though he had showed up early knowing people would be there. Lined up to greet their solider back home.

He stood on the tarmac, just behind the first row of family members who had gathered to greet their soldiers. In his one hand a bouquet of tulips and in his back pocket was his mother's ring.

He had promised her he would give it to the girl of his dreams. Tucker was just that.

He was sure he wanted to marry her.

And no better ring to give than the ring his father gave to his mother who had loved him unconditionally.

She was by his side the whole time and was even faithful to him after his passing.

As the soldiers began to file off the buses it was then Bradley spotted Tucker getting off the bus. Next to her was a man just as equal to her beauty. He was muscular and tall, his skin was flawless.

The two laughed with each other as they looked for their bags. Bradley got that feeling in his stomach. His suspicions were correct.

Tucker had moved on. Gave in temptations. Meat the man of her dreams. Whatever it was she had forgotten about Bradley.

He quickly turned on his heel, throwing the flowers on the ground as he pushed past the rows of people behind him.

Tucker grabbed her bag, slinging it over her shoulder as she looked into the crowd. She thought she would be able to spot the pornstache from a mile away but it seemed as though he wasn't in the crowd.

She watched as soldiers ran to their families, embracing them with relief that they had refined home.

She just stood their holding out hope he would come.

Minutes passed and very few people remained. It was clear to Tucker he wasn't showing.

Embarrassed and humiliated she walked past the group of stragglers waiting for their soldiers and headed to her new dormitory assignment.

She flicked the light on. Welcome back she thought to herself as she looked at the dusty, drably room.

She opened the curtains and looked over the room. Not having much of a choice she made the bed before pulling her duffel bag onto the top of the dresser.

Just as she began to unpack the various belongings she had brought back with her, a heavy footstep could be heard entering her room. The sound could only be made by another naval aviator's boot.

"I wish I could guess what your reason was for not showing up but honestly every single one I conjure up just makes me look like a dumbass and you like a jackass. So I'd rather not" Tucker snarked with her back to Bradley. She didn't even have to turn around to know it was him.

She instantly knew by his smell which she could still identify after all this time apart. Cedar and mint with a hint of herbal.

"Why didn't you show?" Tucker asked with annoyance in her voice. She pulled the clothes out of her duffel bag, placing them back into the drawers they originally resided in.

"I was there. I left in a panic"

"Why would you panic?" Tucker asked, throwing the shirt onto the bed. She spun around to look at Bradley. "I wanted you to be there. I was humiliated" she cried, her face was flushed red.

"I-"

"I wanted nothing more than to grab you in a hug and kiss that face of yours. Was that too much to ask? I've been gone for nearly ten months"

"I was worried you were unfaithful. I saw you with that guy and I just left" he muttered, rubbing his fingers down the bridge of his nose. He knew he messed up big time. Potentially letting the girl of his dreams slip through his fingers.

"I fucking love you. You, Bradley Bradshaw! This is unbelievable. I knew I made a mistake-"

"Made a mistake what? Chasing after me? You asked me if I was free"

"Only because you were too scared to say shit! That's what I liked about you. Damnit. If I wanted any fighter pilot I would have left your ass before deployment. I held out for you! I love you!" Tucker cried, hot tears streaming down her face as she poured her heart out to him.

"Fuck!" Bradley shouted, mad he had ever listened to people and let his horrible thoughts take over. "Look, I'm sorry. I just had people talking and-"

"I lost a wingman. I came back with two confirmed air kills and all I wanted was to see you. I thought you were smarter than this. I guess you aren't. You're just like every other fighter pilot, Rooster" Tucker sobbed. Bradley's heart shattered into a million pieces hearing her say his call sign.

He remembered the rule from the first date. She didn't use call signs with guys she dated.

"I think we should end this" he stated. Tucker just pushed past him, rushing down the hall to the bathroom where she would occupy one of the stalls for the next hour, silently crying to herself.