10

"Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell

"Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell. Your reputation proceeds you" Admiral Simpson announced as he stared at the man in front of him. Pete stood on the opposite side of the table in front of the two admirals. His arms crossed in front laying at his lower stomach.

"Thank you, Sir" Pete responded, backed with a smile.

"Wasn't a compliment" he quickly replied back, leaning forward in his chair.  "I'm Admiral Beau Simpson. I'm the air boss. This is Admiral Solomon Bates" he greeted.

"Warlock, sir. I have to say I wasn't expecting an invitation back"

"They're called orders Maverick" Bates corrected causing Maverick to grin in response. "You do have something in common. Cyclone was top of his class back in '88"

"Actually, I finished second. Just want to manage expectations" Maverick responded, bouncing his weight back and forth from each foot.

"The target is an unsanctioned uranium enrichment plant built in violation of a multi ladder NATO treaty. Uranium produced their represent s a direct threat to our allies in the region. The pentagon has tasked us with creating a strike team to taking it out before it becomes full operational. The plant sits in an underground bunker in this valley. Said valley is GPS jammed and defended by extensive surface-to-air missiles array. Serving a limited number of fifth generation fighters. Which in turn are backed up by a plentiful reserve of surplus aircrafts. Even a few F-14" abates explained, displaying the necessary information on the screen.

"Seems like we aren't the only ones holding on to old relics" Simpson said, jabbing at Maverick himself.

"What's your read, Captain?" Bates asked.

"Well, sir, normally this would be a cakewalk for the F-35 stealth but the GPS jamming negates that. And surface-to-air threat necessitates a low-level laser-guided strike, tailor-made for the F-18. I figure, two precision bombs, minimum. Makes it four aircrafts, flying in pairs. That is one hell of steep climb out of there-" Mitchell points out. "-exposing you to all the surface-to-air missiles. You survive that, it's a dogfight all the way home"

"All requirements for which you have real-world experience" Bates responded.

"Not the same mission, sir" Mitchell countered looking back at Bates before turning his attention back to the board. "No. No, someone's not coming back from this"

Simpson just scoffed at Maverick's attitude. "Can it be done or not?" Simpson asked cutting straight to the point.

"How soon before the plant becomes operational?" Mitchell asked.