14

Tucker followed the others onto the tarmac, her helmet hanging from her left hand

Tucker followed the others onto the tarmac, her helmet hanging from her left hand. It gently swung with each step she took.

"Tornado! Benjamin! Lieutenant Benjamin!" Pete called out. He was trying to get his daughter's attention.

She quickly turned around, giving him a look. "I'm here to learn and complete a mission. Nothing more" Tucker warned. She wasn't here to connect with her father. She was content all these years without him in her life.

"Let's not do it like this" he softly said to her.

"Are you going to put me on reserve? Tell me now" she asked. She wanted a fair chance. She signed up for the Navy and she was going to serve her country. Not even her father would stop her from doing so.

"That will be up to you, not me" he commented back. Tucker wasn't too convinced of that. He went to place a hand on her arm but she immediately pulled it away.

"Don't. Not here. Not now. Not never. You made that choice all those years back. For whatever reason... I trust my mom. If she wanted me to know you then she would have fought for you to be in my life"

"And yet she also tried keeping you out of the Navy" Mitchell added. Tucker had no words to responded with. "She couldn't keep you away from here. Even when she tried to. That didn't stop you from not listening to her then" he said.

Tucker quickly turned on her heel, walking away from him. She could sense some of the others had taken notice of their conversation once more.

"Are you alright?" Phoenix asked her as she stood next to her aircraft. She just nodded her head and placed her helmet on before climbing into her own aircraft.

"Let's kick his ass" Tucker muttered to herself as she strapped her helmet on. The aircraft was loaded onto the tarmac and placed into position. She waited for the okay from the deck crew before launching it into the air. 

The feeling of being at peace came back. She hasn't been in the sky, flying, in control in months and yet it felt like she had never left.

She circled around the skies for a few minutes until she was instructed on what to do next.

"Good morning, aviators. This is your Captain speaking. Welcome to basic fighter maneuvers. As briefed today's exercise is dogfighting. Guns only. No missiles. We do not go below the hard deck of 5000 feet. Working as team you have to shoot me down or else"

"Or else what, sir?" Payback asked as he and Fanboy flew up next to Tornado.

"Or else I shoot back" he laughed. "If I shot either one of you down, you both lose"