08

"Lt

"Lt. Benjamin? My name is Francesca. I'm one of your nurses" she explained. Her heavy Italian accent didn't obstruct her English much though it instantly gave away Tucker wasn't in the USA.

"Where am I?" Tucker asked. The nurse chuckled as she switched out her iv line for a new bag of fluids.

"The hospital. But I assume you are asking where exactly. Italy. You came in a few nights ago"

"A few nights ago? I've been out for how long?" Tucker asked trying to reposition herself in the bed, she moaned as slightly as she could but the pain was too much. The nurse rushed over, placing a supporting hand on her back.

"The pain should start subsiding in a few days" she explained as she fluffed the pillow behind her. "But don't move without help. You'll pop a stitch. Is that good?" she asked. Tucker gently nodded her head.

"Good. Okay. Well to answer your question. You've been here a week"

Tucker was dumbfounded when she heard how long she had been in the hospital already. She had no recollection of any of it. The last thing she remembered was the rescue team vaguely talking to her.

"You've been sedated for the pain. You had a collapsed lung which was repaired. Additionally you had a large wound from a metal piece which had punctured your stomach. No serious damage from that thankfully. Do you need more sedation?"

"No. I'll be fine" she muttered, trying to hold back her wince as she talked. The more she relied on the drugs the longer she would be here. Tucker didn't want to be here any longer than she had to. She wanted to be back on the field, proving herself once more.

"We don't have a contact list on file and the military of yours has been delayed on giving us someone to contact. Do you have anyone specific-"

"No. I don't need anyone notified"

"Really? Your recovery is going to be a few weeks here. You have physical therapy to complete for your abdominal muscles before you can be discharged.  Are you sure?"

"I'm sure. No one needs to be contacted. No one" Tucker reassured the nurse. She gave her a soft, uncomfortable smile before she exited the room.

Tucker, relaxed her head back into the hard pillow, staring up at the ceiling. Her harsh and depressing thoughts flooded her mind.

Failure.

Punishment.

Payback.