17

Maverick had been summoned to Kazansky's residence after the fight that had taken place in the classroom

Maverick had been summoned to Kazansky's residence after the fight that had taken place in the classroom. Afraid he was going to be discharged, Maverick nervously walked into the house. A smile plastered on his face as he greeted his wife, Sarah who we had gotten close to.

She had taken care for Kazansky when he had initial became sick.

She closed the door behind him as he made his way inside. His big smile began to fade as he took note of Sarah's face.

"Maverick" she sighed, trying to hold it in.

"It came back" was all Maverick needed to say to confirm his worst nightmare. His best friend was dying.

"No one knows" she said, weakly smiling, trying to hide the pain of the diagnosis. "There's nothing else they can do. Even speaking is painful now" Sarah explained, letting the tears flow. Maverick grabbed her into a hug, comforting her.

She pulled away, wiping the tears from her face as she could hear the young girls approaching. Their laughter was a sign they too had no clue. "He's in his study. Third door on the left down that hall" Sarah pointed out before tending to the children.

He softly walked over, opening the door to hear the harsh coughing from Kazansky. He stood in the doorway, shocked by what he was seeing. "Admiral" Maverick greeted as he walked in, grabbing a chair to sit next to.

He placed it down, giving Kazansky a quick warm embrace. "How's my wingman?" Maverick asked but all Kazansky did was smile. He turned to his computer where he typed out what he wanted to say. I want to talk about work.

"Please don't worry about me. What can I do for you?" Maverick asked. Kazansky responded back with a point to the computer screen. Maverick couldn't help but smile. "Alright. Rooster's still angry with me about what I did. I thought eventually he'd understand why. Hoped he'd forgive me" Maverick explained.

Kazansky typed on the computer, responding There's still time.

"The mission is less than three weeks away. The kid is not ready" Maverick softly stated. He looked Kazansky in the eyes, hoping he'd give him an answer he'd like to hear.

Then teach him.

"He doesn't want what I have to give" Maverick responded. "Neither does my daughter it seems like"

Kazansky just waved his hand, frowning. "Ice. Please don't ask me to send someone else to die. Please don't. Don't ask me to send him or her. Send me!" he begged, desperation in his voice.