22

Tucker stood in line with the others as they gathered into one of the hanger's located on the ship

Tucker stood in line with the others as they gathered into one of the hanger's located on the ship. Her chin was perched down as her hands crossed behind her back. She looked down at the laces of her boots. She couldn't anticipate who was going to be picked as the wingman.

As they set out for sail, Maverick, the appointed team leader was going to appoint the rest of the team, himself. He stood in front while Simpson and Bates stood to the side.

"It has been an honor flying with you. Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choices are a reflection of that and nothing more" Mitchell began as he stood in the center of the trainees.

"Choose your two foxtrot teams" Simpson instructed.

"Payback and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob" Maverick announced without hesitation. Tucked glanced up to Natasha who was on her left. She looked over at Bob, surprised.

"And your wingman?" Simpson asked.

Tucker from the corner of her eye could see Rooster on right looking down at the ground. Hangman who was upfront was trying to contain his grin.

"Rooster" Maverick once more announced. Tucker looked up at her father shocked he had gone through with him. She was sure that her father would have picked Hangman.

"And the fifth single F-18 has been added to provide extra protection-" Maverick began but Simpson cut him off.

"Actually. An F-35C had been brought aboard. That will be the fifth fighter jet" Simpson stated at Mitchell who was completely shocked. He was not expecting to be blindsided.

"That was not what I was briefed on" Maverick said shocked. He looked at Simpson who refused to make eye contact with him.

"It's been settled, Captain Mitchell" Simpson said out loud looking at the trainees.

"There will be no fifth single F-35C or F-18 for that matter" Maverick countered. Tucker's heart had dropped. He was doing what he always did, disappointing her once again.

"Sir, that wasn't up for discussion" Simpson politely fought back. He looked at the trainees. "There will be a single F-35C added to the mission's team. That has already been finalized and approved by the Navy. End of discussion"

"I don't think she-" Maverick whispered to Simpson as his head turned to the back wall away from the trainees.

"Tornado. You will be flying the F-35C" Simpson announced ignoring Maverick's whispers. Tucker tried to keep her head up strong as she held back the disappointing tears from her father and from the fear was beginning to feel. This aircraft was the same one that almost costed her life. She hadn't expect to get back into so soon and not like this.