15

"He's your what?" Phoenix asked all confused

"He's your what?" Phoenix asked all confused. Tucker pulled the girl aside, signaling for her to lower her voice.

"He's my dad. Okay? Look, it's not like we are close or anything" Tucker explained in a hushed tone. She looked down the hall both ways making sure no one was coming before proceeding. "Plus, I haven't seen him since my sophomore year of high school" Tucker tried reasoning with Phoenix.

Phoenix pinched the bridge of her nose, contemplating what to say next.

"This is bad. You know that. Hangman, Coyote or even Rooster hears of this they will try to get you out of the detachment. They will for sure know it was nepotism-" Phoenix rambled on but Tucker stopped her.

"Natasha. It wasn't nepotism"

Natasha looked at her friend, not entirely believing there wasn't nepotism.

"Come on, Tuck. You said it yourself, your grandfather helped you apply"

"After I graduated college. Plus he just helped. He didn't get me in. I went through training. I did everything else just like you"

Natasha just looked at the girl, a look if she wasn't sure what to believe. "Your secret is safe with me" she promised before walking away. Tucker just slide down the wall of the hallway, trying to take deep breaths to calm her anger.

After a few good deep breaths, Tuxker picked herself off the ground and walked back to the hanger hoping to talk to her dad.

As she rounded the corner she could hear to people talking, in a not so nice tone to each other. Tucked slowly and softly walked closer.

As she peeked her head around she could see Rooster and her father having a serious discussion. Tucker pulled her head back around the corner.

Not wanting to get caught she was about to turn back but Rooster rushed out in a fit of rage.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, trying to hide his anger.

"I came to talk to Captain Mitchell. Are you okay?" Tucker asked, revealing her concerned face. She still cared about Bradley, even if he did break her heart.

"I'm fine. Just don't get caught talking to him. Hangman will surely spin the narrative" he warned before walking away. Tucker looked behind her shoulder watching as he walked away, muttering something to himself.

"Can I help you?" Pete asked as he exited the hanger himself.

"What was that about?" Tucker asked as she followed her dad down the sidewalk.

"That is none of your business Lt. Benjamin" he responded back, his eyes locked forward.

"Oh I see how it is. Well then Captain Mitchell. Did you having something to do with me being here?" she asked. Pete stopped walking, turning to face her.

"Nepotism isn't accepted here at TOPGUN. Why would you ask a question like that?"

"Cause everyone else thinks someone had a part in it. My grandfather is retired and my stepdad doesn't give a shit about me. So it comes down to you" she asked. She was beginning to get impatient.

"No. I haven't interfered" he honestly told her.

"Then would you say I deserve to be here?" she asked. Pete just looked at her. He didn't want to say anything because he honestly didn't want her here. Not in these circumstances.

"I'd prefer you not be here" he explained.

"Then if you didn't want me here then why am I? I sure as hell haven't done anything impressive in almost a year to be noticed. There are plenty of pilots better than me at the moment" she rambled on, trying to rattle her brain around why people doubted her and why she should believe in herself.

"Kazansky requested your presence for the detachment. He had one request and it was you" he revealed before walking away. Tucker's breath hitched at his comment.

"And why the hell would he do that?" Tucker asked. She didn't even know Admiral Kazansky.

Pete just looked at his daughter who was clearly battling her own demons. People around her didn't believe she deserved to be here and know she wasn't sure what to believe in, especially not herself.

"Be at class tomorrow. We have a lot of work to do" he urged her before walking away. Tucker just stood there. Watching as he walked away, just like he always did.