An Old Friend

~Chapter Twenty-Five - An Old Friend~

We finally got the airship into the air. Hunter was co-pilot to Amity's dad, who I figured out his name was Alador. Amity paced around the ship. Augustus was sitting to the side admiring his magic enhancer. Willow and I sat talking quietly as King fell asleep on my lap. Everyone's palisman were snuggled up next to one another trying to keep warm. 

King suddenly shot up in my lap panting. "It's okay, King. Everything is okay." I said, patting his back. He calmed down a bit, but still seemed startled. 

"I know how to fly a ship." Alador said as Hunter pulled a lever. "Then fly faster. We're barely halfway there. Luz could be in trouble." Amity said. "Maybe if I took the wheel-" Hunter was cut off. "Very eager to return to Belos, eh, Golden Guard?" Alador asked. 

"At least I never built him an army!" Hunter shouted back. "Watch your tone with me, young man." Alador said, taking one hand off the wheel which caused the ship to rock back and forth. 

"Woa. Hey, here's a bright idea: Don't distract the pilot." Augustus added. The four of them started fighting. Willow got up to try and get them all to stop, but nothing seemed to calm anyone down. 

"I can't believe she's going to face Belos alone again. And I'm powerless to help her. We can't even manage to help each other." King said. I sighed. "She just wanted to protect you. Luz is tough, and we're on our way to her right now." I said. FlapJack looked at me before going over to the other palismen. They all grabbed a crate and dragged it over to the five that were arguing. They stopped when they saw the palismen open the crate to reveal food. 

"Look, we're all exhausted and terrified. Let's focus our energy on helping Luz instead of fighting each other." Amity said. Everyone agreed, grabbing some food and returning to what they were doing earlier. Alador even let Hunter fly the ship, and honestly we started moving faster. 

"How did-" King started. "There is always a way to help. You just have to find the right opportunity." I said to him. He smiled up at me. "Thank you, Podarge. I'll remember that." King said before laying back down in my lap. 

--

As we grew closer to the head, I felt my wrist being to itch a little. I looked at the sigil on my arm and saw it was glowing. The Draining Spell was active. I looked around to see Hunter's and Alador's sigils glowing as well. 

"Your ship has been reported stolen. Land immediately!" A nearby Emperor's Coven ship came close. Augustus casted a spell to make the ship turn into ravens. "Take them down!" I heard a scout shout. Hunter then flew over and trapped the scout. An Abomination shoved him off his staff. I heard him shout in fear as he missed catching his staff to save himself. 

 I panicked as I remembered I couldn't do anything to help Hunter since my wings were still unoperational. Willow was the one who caught him just as FlapJack caught up to him. Amity got close enough to turn off the Abominations. Alador cursed himself for making them as we returned to the ship. Just as everyone was back on the ship, the ship shook violently. We were hit several times before the ship started descending. The seven of us screamed as we crash landed. 

--

I was shaken awake by Hunter. "Po! Po! Please way up! Please! Please! I need you." The last part was whispered in my ear as my eyes fluttered open. I groaned at the searing pain in my head and upper back. "Po! Oh Thank Titan! I thought I lost you there." I winced as Hunter embraced me. "Oh, sorry! Are you okay?" He was worried. 

"I'm fine. Where's King?" I asked looking at my surroundings. Alador fought off the Abominations that came to grab us. He handed Amity the remote to turn off the Abominations. I saw King on the ground a few feet away from me. I ran to him. "King! Are you okay?" I asked, watching his eyes open and close back into unconsciousness. I picked him up and carried him away from the scene.