The Haunted Hayride

~ Chapter Thirty - The Haunted Hayride ~

I spent the next morning preparing my halloween costume. Alongside Willow, the two of us decided to go as bats. Even though Willow and I weren't the closest of friends, it was nice to bond over something so small. 

Later that night we made our way to downtown Old Gravesfield where the festival was being held. Apparently Amity, Willow, and Gus found where the Titan's blood was and they were going to surprise Luz tonight. It was exciting. 

Once the six of us got out of the car, Amity reminded us about the plan while Luz was distracted with Camilla. "All right. We'll keep the puzzle a secret until the time is right. And then, we'll tell her about the Titan Blood." She said. I noticed Hunter looking intensely at the tree line. He tensed up before whispering to Flapjack. The palisman shook its head in response. I furrowed my eyebrows in worry. 

As they continued their discussion my mind started wondering to King. I hoped he was okay. Maybe The Collector took mercy on him. It was unlikely. The nightmares I've had throughout the past months began flashing through my head. I tried to shove them down but King's voice repeatedly screamed in my ears. 

"You ready, Podarge?" Hunter's voice blared through the other's causing me to flint. "Huh! What?" I asked. Hunter gave me a worried look. "We're heading into the festival. Come on!" His smile caused me to relax a bit. I smiled back before following him to the others. We made our way passed many booths and stands before we came to a stage where a dramatic play was taking place. 

"I hath seen the Mrs. Smith consorting with spirits unpure." One man shouted. He was wearing old-fashioned clothes. The next man, who appeared to be a judge, turned to the woman in the cage. "Is this true Mrs. Smith?" He asked. 

The woman cried out. "Nay, tis a fool lie! Inquisitor Jones is tarring me a demon's varlet so as to take mine fields." She whimpers. The Inquisitor shouts again. "Demon lies!" He comes up close to the woman's cage. 

"Your honor, I do object!" Gus shouts from the audience before running onto the stage. "It is Inquisitor Jones who's in league with the dark forces!" He says as if it were scripted. The actor scolded him. "Behold!" Gus says before tearing off the man's pants and revealing satire hooves and a long pointed tail. The actor ran away in fear. The woman playing Mrs. Smith leaved through the bars and kissed Gus on the cheek. 

The audience clapped for Gus's "trick." A man pushes through the crowd. "Why are you clapping?" She shouts before jumping the rope; falling on his face while doing so. "These children are demon spawn. And they want your teeth!" He shouted before getting up and ripping off Gus's head piece. 

"Look! Look at his ears! He's from Mars!" The stranger shouted. "Hey! Lay off the costume, Man!" Gus complains before two security guards come and attack the stranger. Luckily, Gus got his head piece back. 

After that whole debacle, the six of us made our way to the hayride. I was so excited for this. I smiled at Hunter as we sat down in the wagon. The guide began their introduction. "I hope you're all prepared for a truly scary ride." They said. Gus and Willow started chanting in unison. "May us cry! May us cry!" I laughed at the two. "Because there is nothing scarier than knowledge." They continue. Gus boos, "Just lie to me!" 

"Let me tell you the eeriest unsolved mystery of Gravesfield. 'The Tale of the Brothers Wittebane.'" 

I felt Hunter tense beside me. Amity leaned into Luz. "Wittebane? Isn't that Belos?" She asked. Hunter and I made eye contact for a brief second. 

"The year is 1613. Two orphaned brothers arrived in Gravesfield. Their names? Phillip and Caleb." 

"Oh no." Hunter whispered. I could see the anxiety in his eyes. 

"Caleb did his best to take care of his younger brother. They tried to fit in with this town and its unsavory practices. They became witch-hunters. Local lore suggests that the Brothers Wittebane met a real witch from another world. Her name was Evelyn. And the older brother was spirited away. She dazzled him with magic and visions of a strange yet beautiful place. They used a secret code to travel between worlds. Phillip set off to save his brother and bring the witch to justice. But neither were ever seen again! Maybe, Phillip saved Caleb and they went on to lead peaceful lives. Or maybe he's still chasing his brother, caught in a cycle or horror and strife!" 

We all gasped. Hunter reached for my hand. I could sense his anxiety grow through each word the guide spoke. I held his hand tightly. 

"Sounds like big bro got a hot witch girlfriend and little bro got upset. But that's just me." They finished as the ride ended. The six of us got off. Hunter let go of my hand as he brushed the hay off his costume. Willow pulled me away from Hunter. "Do you think that story is true? Belos is originally from Gravesfield." She asked. 

"If it's true then we know for sure the Titan Blood is here in Gravesfield." I said. "The guide mentioned some secret code. It had to of been the rebus!" 

"Well, now would be the perfect time to tell Luz!" Amity exclaimed. "Uh, guys. Where are Hunter and Luz?" Gus asked. We turned to see both Hunter and Luz were gone. I panicked. "Hunter!" I shouted out running around the wagon to see where they were. The others went in different directions trying to find them as well. 

Once we found each other again Amity was the most worried. "Calm down, they probably just went to buy some more cars." Gus reassured. It did nothing to ease my anxiety. "You're right. I just- I wanted to show Luz the rebus" Amity reached into her pocket. "Huh?" She goes. 

"What do you mean huh?" I asked. "The rebus, it's gone!" She shouted. Just then Camilla and Vee showed up. "Kids! Have you seen Luz?" She asked. "And um, has she said anything weird?" Uh-oh. Something bad was going to happen. I just knew it. 

"Boom, find a phone." Vee pulls out Camilla's phone before tracking Luz. Where ever they were, it was no good. 

I looked at the phone in Vee's hand before running in that direction. She was heading towards the Titan Blood. Hunter and her must've taken the rebus, but why? Why would they do that? Why would they need the rebus before all of us could go with them? 

Once I got far enough passed the tree line and away from the festival, I ripped off my concealment stone and flew up for a better view of where they could be. "Podarge!" Gus shouted after me. "Hunter!" I shouted, doing circles in the air trying to find him and Luz. 

That's when I remembered. Hunter was having visions of Belos. He wasn't in his right mind. That's why they took the rebus. I spun around one more time before I saw two figures in what appeared to be a graveyard. 

I flew closer, immediately identifying the figures as Hunter and Luz; except Hunter wasn't himself. There were two horn-like spears coming from his head and his eyes glowed blue. He was facing Luz. They were fairly close to one another. That's when I heard his voice. 

"Thanks again for all the help, Luz. But I don't need you anymore." 

It was Belos. 

~End~

Again, screw editing. Also I don't know Masha's pronouns but I know the character is non-binary so I just used they/them.