Weird Human Holiday

~Chapter Twenty-Nine - Weird Human Holiday~

The three of us made our way back to Luz's house. We walked in silence, but I could sense Hunter's anxiety. I know if I kept having visions of the Collector, I'd for sure be as anxious as he. I kept sneaking glances his way, just to make sure he was with us and not lost in his own head. We walked up to the front door and made our way in.

The others were crowded in the living room surrounded by boxes and costumes. "Hey, we're back!" Hunter started. "And we bought some. . . uh. . . cars?" Luz elbowed him a bit as she walked by and I tried to conceal my laugh. He is adorable. What?

The others didn't seem to even care as Amity began explaining what they were doing. "Luz! We're designing our costumes for the Haunted Hayride!" She explained. They were all so excited to participate. Gus jumped up to Hunter. "Guess what I've got planned? I'm gonna be Captain Avery and you're. . ." Gus started, holding up some sort of futuristic device. Hunter gasped. "Chief Engineer O'Bailey!" He squealed. I unknowingly smiled at the two. Camilla nearly spat out her coffee.

"Uh. . . How do you know about Cosmic Frontier?" She asked while tensed up. "Well, the book's in your basement." Hunter explained. Camilla tensed up even more.

"Oh!" She laughed. "Funny how things just show up in basements, right? Without you hiding or putting them there." She laughed again. "Life sure is full of surprises!"

Hunter, Gus, Luz, and I started at her in suspicion. "Cool, humans freak out just like us." I laughed at Gus's comment.

"It'll be fun! We want to experience your weird human traditions." Willow stated as she pulled out a set of fake teeth from one of the boxes. She put them in her mouth before laughing devilishly. "And I thought you and I could take inspiration from. . ." Amity dramatically paused before turning on the television. "Good Witch Azura The Movie 2: The Bretrayanning." She finished before pressing play.

A fight scene between Azura and Villianous Lucy took place. "I could be the Hecate to your Azura." Amity pulled out a drawing she made of her and Luz in Hecate and Azura costumes. "What do you think?" She asked, showing Luz. "Oh wow! Yeah! Let's do it!" Luz shouted excitedly.

"So, what are you planning on doing, Podarge?" Willow spoke up. "I don't know. I could be some mythical creature. It would be nice to spend a night without this on." I said, taking off the concealment stone. My wings were now visible. "That would be cool, but wouldn't that be like cheating? I mean you typically wear a costume on Hallow's deen." Amity asked. "Halloween." Luz whispered. "Right." She responded.

"I'm sure I can find something." I spoke before leaning down to look through the boxes. Hunter knelt down beside me to help. "I don't want to even imagine myself in this." I said, pulling out some sort of animal costume. "What even is this supposed to be?" I giggled. "I think it's a rabbit." Hunter said, examining it for a while.

I spent the next couple minutes searching through the box before practically giving up. Then, Hunter pulled out his bright red Flapjack onesie. He gave me a bright smile. I laughed. "Absolutely not." I said. His smile dropped into a fake pout. I giggled at him, shaking my head.

~~~

After finally coming up with a costume idea, I retired to the basement to go to bed. I was exhausted. Once I made it to my designated sleeping bag and lied down, I was suddenly wide-awake. Stupid body. I tossed and turned until someone came down the stairs.

"You alright, Podarge?" I heard Hunter call out from behind me. I groaned before sitting up. "I'm sorry. Do you need to be alone right now?" Hunter asked. I looked at him to see he was anxious for my response. "Oh, no. I wasn't groaning at you. I just can't fall asleep for some reason." I explained. "Oh." He said, walking to his sleeping bag in silence. He took a seat, crossing his legs and holding his hands together.

"Are you doing alright?" I asked. "Since earlier?" Hunter stared off towards the wall on the other side of us. We sat in silence for a minute, maybe two. "I just don't understand. I could've sworn I saw him today. He was there, Po. Right in front of me and I. . ." He inhaled sharply. The worry and fear were plastered all over his face. "I just ran." He whispered, hanging his head low and twiddling with his thumbs.

I sighed before shuffling myself towards him. I was now right next to him. I sat with my legs crossed, the same as he. I took a minute before speaking, just in case he needed to say more. "Running is a natural instinct. The things Belos has done to you. I'd be surprised if you didn't run." I looked at his face, studying his reaction to make sure I wasn't saying too much. His gaze stayed to his lap, so I continued.

"He was your family." His breath faltered. "You cared about him." He swallowed harshly and began tapping a finger on his knuckle. "I can only imagine the confusion you must be feeling." I said. Hunter looked at me. I saw the sadness in his eyes.

"I. . . I don't know what I am." Hunter said, referring to what Belos said about him. He refused to look me in the eye. I placed a hand on his shoulder. "It's alright, Hunter. You don't need to. What you're feeling, the confusion of what you are, I understand. Probably more than you know. It doesn't matter who or what you're supposed to be, 'cause you are incredible. You're my best friend. You love wolves and Cosmic Frontier. You love studying history, especially magic. You love Flapjack and you're. . . you're Hunter. You aren't who Belos made you to be. The Golden Guard is gone. He died with Belos." I explained.

Hunter tensed while I spoke. He smiled at me before pulling me into a hug. "Thank you." He mumbled into my shoulder. I relaxed into his embrace. "I'll always be here to cheer you on." I said.

We held one another for a while until Hunter pulled away. "You're my best friend too. At least, I consider you to be." He said scratching the back of his neck. "I'm glad." I smiled.

"You want to go to bed? We've had a long, emotionally exhausting day." I asked. Hunter chuckled. "Yeah. Do you mind. . .staying a little closer tonight?" I was confused as to what he asked me for a second, before realizing. I nodded my head.

I got up and grabbed my sleeping bag, dragging it closer to his. Hunter turned off the light as I got into bed. "Goodnight, Podarge." He said as he climbed into his sleeping bag. I could feel him close beside me, so close that our pinkies were touching. After a moment, Hunter decided to link our pinkies together. "Goodnight, Hunter." I said before closing my eyes and instantly falling asleep.

~End~

Screw editing honestly. Here is another chapter. Sorry for the delay, Senior Year is a pain guys.