Chapter 33

A/N: All of the therapy stuff in this story is made up and has no evidence supporting it. Take everything with a grain of salt. Enjoy :)

Maria POV 

I've been anxious about this meeting since we set it up with Dom a little while ago. 

"Maria, calm down, please.  Mia will be able to sense your discomfort. Deep breath in and out." Iris says while we wait for Fran and Mia to get here. 

"I know. I just this meeting to go well for her." 

"I understand. You're not the first nor the last parent who worries about the first meet-up with their children's therapist. Hell, you're not even the first mafia family I have helped." She chuckles.

I give her a 'really' look. 

"Sorry, but it is true. You cannot force a bond between us. If it clicks it clicks. Only time will tell, but it's okay if it doesn't click right away. Trust requires time. Believe me. I have plenty of time and patience." She says soothingly. 

"I see why I am paying you the big bucks now," I say trying to lighten the mood even more. 

"Great! Do you think you can double it?" She gets out before we hear the dinging of an elevator. 

"MAMA!" I hear my daughter yell once the doors open. 

I eagerly open my arms for her while welcoming her and my husband. Apparently, I am not the only one to be calling him old today. 

Iris leads us into her personal office and I must say it is quite comforting. She has a small desk presumably hers in the corner, but everything else screams comfort. If it was not for the desk I wouldn't have known it was an office. Would have guessed a living or playroom. 

We settle on the couch with her on the single one. 

"Well, I am already familiar with Maria and Francesco, but I have not met this little one, yet." Iris starts while warmly smiling down at Mia. 

Mia is hugging my side attempting to become my second skin. 

"It's okay, Mia. This is the friend that I was telling you about in the car ride." Fran whispered to her while rubbing her back trying to soothe her. 

"It's okay. I get it. It can be quite scary coming into an environment that is unfamiliar and meeting a stranger. Let me start by introducing myself properly. My name is Iris Theo. My mom really liked the song Iris by the Goo-Goo Dolls. I am 26 years old and my favorite mythical animal is a phoenix. Do you have a mythical animal that you like?" Iris asks 

We are sitting in silence for a minute hoping Mia will answer. After another minute goes by Fran and I look at each doubting our decision. Not necessarily in Iris's capabilities, but our choice to start therapy. We know she needs it but watching her struggle with the nerves is hard to watch. Maybe, we can start another time... 

"Hmm, I have a book over here somewhere about different mythical animals. It shows pictures and short descriptions of what their powers are. Quite cool if you ask me, not that anyone is. Ah, here it is." Iris mumbles out as she searches for the book. 

She hands the books to Mia, but Mia's face isn't even facing her. I take it from her giving her a sorry look, but she just waves me off and encourages me to get her to look at the book. 

"Mia, look here. The cover is purple one of your favorite colors." I say trying to get her interested. 

She slowly comes out of my side and looks at the book then at Iris then at the book again. Iris is just smiling encouraging her to look at the book.