Chapter 39

Third Person POV

"Let's start with where you went today," Leo announced once Maria and Francesco sat down.

"Why are you so focused on where I went today?" Tony responded, a bit defensive and annoyed.

"Because it's out of character for you to disappear without telling someone," Leo bit back.

"Enough. This is not helping nor explaining why we are here. Tony, we talked to your assistant, and she said you have a meeting with a Mr. Lopez?" Francesco questioned, unsure if the assistant should be trusted or not.

"Right. Sorry. --" Tony started responding until his mother cut him off.

"Wait, Carlos Lopez? As in the Mexican Cartel's underboss?" Maria answered, shocked.

"Well, retired underboss, but yes," Tony replied.

"How the hell do you know him?" Maria questioned.

"Wait, your childhood friend Carlos?" Francesco asked Maria.

Maria just nodded, waiting for Tony to respond.

"Ever since the Mexican Cartel symbol came up, I decided to research to figure out why the hell they would come after us. Through some connections, I got a meeting with Mr. Lopez that was originally scheduled earlier today; however, it seemed that word got out, and he got bombed, pushing back our meeting time to later this afternoon. He told me that the Mexican Cartel seems to have a power struggle." Tony says, pulling up pictures of the current families revolved in the dispute.

"Power struggle?" Vince questions.

"Yes, similar to us, leadership gets passed down to the next of kin. However, the previous Don seemed to have some infidelity issues leading to the dispute that is occurring right now.--"

"That's not new news, dear. Javier has always been a walking STD." Maria says while reading the descriptions of the dispute.

"Right... Well looks like his affair child wants to lay claims on the cartel which is not going over well, as you can presume. His son Jorge has been building his own gang on their territory and seems to have turned people onto his side." Tony continues.

"Why are people taking his side? It is not unusual for affairs in this world and even less unusual to have unwanted children from those affairs.  In most cases, the affair children have no claim to any power unless the parent wants them to." Santi states.

"Well, Javier's next of kin is a female named Sofia."

"I see," Maria states with displeasure written all over her face.

"So, Jorge is making a claim that he would be better suited as their leader because he is male?" Alisha concludes with a similar disdain on her face.

"Exactly--" Tony replies, clicking to the next slide.

"Why is this our problem? We are not allied or their enemies." Vince asks, frustrated with irrelevant information.

"Vince, relax. I'm sure he's getting there," Enzo replies, trying to sedate his twin.

"Anyways, Jorge isn't getting as much traction as he thought he would, especially when Javier was supporting Sofia as the next leader--"

"Was? That bastard should still be alive," Maria responded.

"Word is that he is on his deathbed. Jorge made an at shot his father for not supporting him, and since that incident, more uprise has occurred."

"Okay. I still do not understand why we are discussing the Mexican Cartel's succession issues." Vincent stated, throwing the papers on the table.