Forth

As Lam answered the call, I saw a woman next to him. He introduced her as his colleague Suzanne who was there to send him off.

I waiied respectfully to her over the video call and to her credit, she put on her ear phone so we could have a conversation privately.

"What time is your flight?"

"4pm. I'm here waiting to check in."

"All rights, I come pick you up ok?"

"No need luh. It be fine. Its a short flight anyway."

"It's fine. I wait for you ok. See you soon. Be safe."

I watched as Lam nodded and he hung up. I looked at my work. I better get it done quickly if I wanted to pick him up. My dad then came in.

"It's Saturday Forth. Why not rest?"

"I'm going to go pick Lam up soon but I wanted to clear this so I don't have to worry about it later."

"You have worked hard enough. Just rest. Not doing this for 1 day wouldn't hurt anyone. And where did Lam go?"

"He had gone to Singapore for a work trip for a month. Coming back today."

"Ah so that explains those videos calls during dinner. And I still wondered why you don't meet for dinner instead of those calls".

I chuckled at my dad. I finished off my work and I went to pick Lam up. I waited for about 30 minutes before I finally saw him. I nodded at him and he walked over. I took his luggage from him  and gave him a drink.

He smiled gratefully at me. "How was it?"

"Good. Eventually it did become better and work was a breeze. And I think I also found it easier cos had a familiar face in you who kept me occupied. Thanks man."

"What are friends for? You tell me. I'm just glad we reconnected again. Back to the same ole days man."

Lam agreed. As we were walking out, he received a call from Suzanne. I saw how Lam's face lit up when it was her. I watched as he spoke to her and when he hung up, I quizzed him subtly.

"Friend?"

"One of my colleagues from work. But we hit it off quite well."

"I see. Was she the one I saw earlier?"

"Yes! And she's really nice. She wanted to keep in touch and I agreed. I told her to swing by for a holiday soon so I can show her around. We can hang out altogether then."

I nodded and we had a nice journey home. I spent some time at his house before heading back to my own. As I stepped in, I saw my parents holding hands and watching TV together. It was such a sweet sight that I stood like that for a bit watching them.

"Forth, you ok? When did you come?

"Hey alls good. I just came. Found you two so sweet so didn't want to interrupt the love birds."

"Well when are you going to give us a chance to also fawn over you like that?"

"Maa!!"

"Old enough already Forth. The last you dated was in university and even then, you guys ended things. Amicable enough to still be friends. But even he is dating your junior now happily. Isn't it about time you found someone too? Work isn't everything."

"I know. Just haven't found the one. I'm sure i will one day. Maybe I need to sign up for those dating apps."

My parents chuckled loudly. Just then my phone rang. It was Lam! I took my leave from my parents and excitedly answered the call, chatting about meeting for lunch.

What I didn't realize were my parents looking at me with a smile, wondering when I was going to realise that mayeb love was much closer than I realized it to be.