Lam

I couldn't help but look at Forth constantly during dinner. He looked after me conscientiously as usual but also remembered to hold himself back around me, not wanting to draw attention to us.

I really did like him alot but the constant thoughts in my head overpowered the want to make it official. I hope Forth will be there as I debated this through. I snapped back to the conversations at the table and realized that they were discussing about getting drinks thereafter.

"P Lam, do you want to join us? We are waiting for your reply as P Forth said yours will determine his! He's being so annoying about it."

I chuckled wryly. "Why not, 1 drink sounds fine. Where we going to?"

Ming shared about some bar downtown. Since we had our own vehicles, we agreed to meet there in 30 minutes. I walked out with Forth and asked him, "why didn't you just agree for drinks?"

"Well sometimes you don't want to and I want to spend time with you. So if you rejected, I can say no too. Rather than agree and then reject after that."

I looked at Forth who just smiled back at me and took the helmets out. He had no idea on the effect of his words on me at times. He literally just says what's on his heart and mind. I just put on my helmet thoughtfully, my thoughts straying constantly to Forth.

We rode over to the bar and joined the other two boys. We ordered a round of whiskey on the rocks and were enjoying the drinks. Forth and Ming were good drinkers and were onto their 2nd whilst I was nursing my 1st slowly whilst chatting with Pha.

Just then, this really pretty girl came up to chat with Forth. I observed him as I continued drinking. He just smiled politely at her when she introduced herself to him but didn't continue any conversation. She tried hard to chat with him but he told her that he wasn't keen as he was with his friends. She then looked over at us and smiled.

I caught her give me a 2nd look and she started walking over. I watched Forth's face grow with alarm. I chuckled privately at his face. Poor fellow. She came over to chat with me but got shot down.

I just looked at her and said "I'm with my boyfriend and I don't think he is going to like it. So please."

She was stunned. She looked at all 3 of us and asked on whom was the boyfriend. I shrugged my shoulders at her whilst all 3 boys claimed me. I started laughing!! She got so pissed and she left immediately.

We all roared with laughter. Ming and Pha went to dance and Forth went to the toilet, leaving me at the table. I was drinking and just ordered my 2nd when this guy came up.

"Hey. Alone?"

I shook my head no.

"Mind if I joined you?"

"Er. Maybe not. My friends are here and it's just for us tonight."

"Oh come on. 1 more wouldn't hurt. And you look really cute. I just want to get to know you better."

"Look I'm really not keen so..."

"Come on dude.."

Take a hint and leave. Before I smash your face."

I turned to look at Forth who was standing there seething with frustration. The guy turned to look at me and I just looked at him stonily.

"I already told you nicely and you didnt listen. Now you had to get it the hard way. Buzz off. Get a hint."

The guy glared at me and told me to fuck off. Shit. Forth got angry and nearly jumped on him. Luckily I managed to stop him and just then Ming and Pha came running back too.

I pulled Forth away, telling the boys I will be back and dragged Forth out.

"Forth. Calm down. Its ok."

"I'm just. Look he's an asshole. He shouldn't have.. "

"I know but it's ok. It's settled. Don't be angry na. And you aren't 19 anymore Forth. You have to learn to control your temper na. Smash your face and all?" I chuckled softly.

Forth just glared at me but I knew he wasn't angry at me per se. I just held onto his hands and caressed it softly. He finally sighed and just nodded his head.

I smiled, caressed his face and we turned to go back into the bar, only to come face to face with Ming and Pha who were looking at us wide eyed. Shit.

I just kept quiet. Forth looked at me but he didnt say anything. He just looked at them and asked, "what are the two of you looking at? Haha let's go naaaa". He dragged Ming away and started chattering away. Pha and I walked in together.

"Forth and I.. "

"You don't have to say. Ming and I could tell from the get go. We were always just waiting for you two to confirm it. Took you guys 9 years huh."

I turned to look at Pha in shock. He didn't see and was just walking in. I stood at the entrance for a bit, looking at this man who loved me so much that he continued being a friend to me, keeping his own desires of wanting to play the boyfriend role aside. And what did Pha mean by 9 years in the making?

Have we always been more than friends and never realized it? Maybe what my mom said was true.