Forth

I just looked at this stupid Lam who had passed out on my lap. I rolled my eyes at his idiocy and was so tempted to just stand up and ruin his sleep.

But seeing him sleep so peacefully; I had no heart to do so. I just watched as his eyebrows scrunched a bit. I smoothed it out slowly and I found him relaxing his face. I didn't end up sleeping and just watched him for the rest of the morning.

Around 5.30am, my mother came down to prepare breakfast and almost got a heart attack seeing us, him on my lap, me wide awake reading some articles on my phone. She looked at me and before she could open her mouth, I put a finger to my lips and pointed at Lam.

She cocked her head thoughtfully and then just smiled, nodded and went away. She did her chores quietly and I just passed my time reading until around 6.15am, my father woke up, happily booming away Good Morning! Both my mom and I shushed him but too late! Lam woke up, sitting up, rubbing his face tiredly. He looked at the time and smiled softly at me, signalling he wanted to bring me out for breakfast.

"Why so early? We can go later?"

"Suzanne is touching down at 11am. I promised to go pick her up and bring her out for lunch."

"Oh okays. Its all rights. You should go home and shower and change before meeting her. Trust me it be enough time. If we went for breakfast, you be late."

"You sure? But I..wanted"

"It's ok. Really, we can go next Monday ok?"

Lam nodded cheerfully, took his leave and left. I just stood at the entrance and watched him go. When I turned, I saw both of my parents looking at me somewhat sadly. For some reason, I just smiled, shrugged it off and went off to my room. But I didn't come out of my room at all, I showered, changed and threw myself into work. I worked all the way, skipping my meals and also didn't look at my phone. My door was open but my parents knew better than to disturb me. My mom did leave a tray of snacks but it went untouched. I was busy on my work till about 8pm when suddenly someone pulled me up!

What the fuck. I looked up angrily wanting to scold the person and I realized it was Lam.

"Lam.. what are you doing here?"

"My question is, what are you doing here?"

"In my room? I mean I'm in my room.."

"Not eating, drinking, working all day from 7-8pm without even leaving your home, not even checking the phone? If you are in thr office, its still OK. You couldn't even catch a small break at home? And why didn't you go to the office?"

"I.. I thought of working from home. Anyways its a workday. I mean I should be working."

"9-5pm yes. Not 7-8pm. And why didn't you even eat at all?!"

"How... I mean I did eat..."

"Really Forth?!" And he turned angrily towards the tray of snacks and drinks that were untouched since morning.

"And if you had bothered to check your phone, you would have realized I came by to the office at noon to bring you out for lunch with us. You weren't there. I came back at 4pm to see you after dropping Suzanne and her husband off. You weren't there. Your secretary tells me you didn't come in at all and I called you multiple times nothing. I had to resort to calling your mom to find out where you were. Really Forth?!"

I kept quiet, out of everything he said, only 1 thing stood out to me - so Suzanne was married? Nice. And wait, he came to my office so many times?! Oh shit, I'm screwed. I looked at Lam who was staring at me angrily. I wanted to open my mouth to apologise but he just turned and left.

I watched him go before I realized and quickly ran down to catch hold of him but he had left. Shit. This time I turned around to see my parents glaring at me. My mom just rolled her eyes at me and walked away to the kitchen, muttering what a fool she had for a son.

I just looked at my dad speechless, who just told me, "Go make it up with him, you fool."