Forth

I ended work promptly at 5pm as I was excited to go see Lam. However, I couldn't deny that his words earlier did sting. I know he was afraid of ruining the friendship and its difficult when 2 friends fall for each other. But when I look at Lam and our friendship, I don't know why but I never felt like I had looked at him as a friend.

It always seemed more, more intimate than two friends. We didn't hug or kiss previously, neither did we share "I love you" or any sweet talk. But when I look back, he was always the first person I went to when I was happy or sad, whether I had good or bad news to share. He's been there for every single one of my milestones since I knew him. He's like family and he's the only one among my friends who has a key to my house.

He always sought me out too, first before Park or the rest. We share our own private jokes. We always send or pick each other up. Even during the 5 years I was away, we tried to keep in touch and even when I was busy with work, the person I had missed the most was him.

Now that I was back for good and could be with him, I realized subconsciously I started craving to be around him 24/7. I could see myself waking up to his face daily.

Question remained; could he? Going by his words, I could tell he was undecided about labelling the relationship. But it was new to him and I had to be fair to him. I was going to take it slow even though its not my style because I know Lam is worth it.

As I went down to the lobby, I saw Lam. "Hey! What are you doing here? I was coming by to pick you up."

"Wanted to come surprise you. You done? What do you want to eat?"

I smiled. I suggested bbq and he agreed. He had brought his bike out for a change so I left my car and got onto his bike. I wasn't too sure on where I should place my hands so I just held onto the side as usual. However, just as we took off, Lam took my hands to place it around his waist. I tried to keep my face straight at this though it really made me grin privately.

We reached the venue and just as he was parking the bike, we bumped into Ming and Pha.

"Hey what you guys are doing here?" Ming exclaimed loudly.

"Here for dinner dude. You? Dating?" I asked, smirking at Pha. Pha blushed and kept quiet. Ming held onto his hands and nodded. Lam joined us and Pha asked us to join them. But before he asked, he looked at Ming for permission subtly to make sure he was comfortable with it. Ming nodded and all 4 of us decided to eat together. We sat down. Lam and Pha were chatting whilst Ming and I were perusing the menu.

Ming called the waiter over. He ordered for himself and Pha. The waiter then looked at me but I was still busy studying the menu. I then heard Lam utter "2 sets of the pork belly set, 1 extra fried chicken, 1 set of the intestines and 2 warm tea. Plus a black coffee for later."

The waiter nodded. I was so immersed in the menu that I didn't realize that Lam had ordered. I finally looked up minutes later and realized the waiter had left.

The boys were chatting when I told them, "Ming you ordered?" He nodded. I looked at Lam and said "shall we have the pork belly set, intestines and oh fried chicken?! The tea looks good but I still want a black coffee later. Can we call the waiter back? Dude forgot us!"

The boys stared at me for a bit then both Pha and Ming burst out laughing. Lam just drank his water quietly.

"P! Lam knows you so well indeed. He didn't even have to look at the menu and he ordered. He knew exactly what you would want."  Ming exclaimed.

I looked at Lam who was pretending to be immersed his phone. I chuckled and kept the menu away, my heart warming again at this fellow who knows me well.

As dinner came, Lam and I involuntarily did what we usually did. We split the food equally between us. He always gave me the fatty bits of the intestines and the fried chicken. I know he doesn't like the skin so I would peel it off automatically for him.

Pha watched us and then he smacked Ming. "Did you see them?! They are a sweeter couple than we are. And they arent even one! You don't even do half of that!"

Ming almost choked on his food and glared at me and Lam. We just shrugged our shoulders at him grinning.

'Stop flaunting your non existent relationship vibes P Forth! You are going to get me into bigger trouble with my boyfriend!" I chuckled but didn't correct him. I would have very much wanted to retort that it wasn't non existent but I knew Lam would be uncomfortable so I just chuckled awkwardly.

Just then I felt Lam's hands on my lap under the table. I looked at him and he smiled at me thankfully.

I just shook my head and went back to my food. If it made him happier, sure, I play the friend role longer.