Forth

Lam sent me home once our drinking session was over. It was close to 1am. My father was up this time, waiting for my mom who had gone to visit her sisters and as usual was running home late.

"Pa, Where's ma?"

"Where else? 3rd Sunday of the month. At her sisters and running late as usual."

"Go sleep then first ba. You know she's reaching."

"I know but you know me. Can't sleep without her so might as well I wait."

I chuckled. I turned to Lam and bade him goodbye, asking him to text me when he's home so I know he's safe. He leaned in to me and whispered, "Can't sleep without knowing I'm safe Forth?"

I know he said that to tease me but it was true and so, words got caught in my throat and I ended up blushing. Lam was surprised when he saw that and he just assured he text me when I'm home, not teasing me further. I smiled. Dad wasn't looking so I grabbed his hand a final time just to say bye. He turned to look at me and smiled, squeezing me goodbye.

He turned to go and we came face to face with my mother who was smirking at us. I was stunned but instantly my instincts to protect Lam and make sure hes comfortable took over, so I gently let go of Lam's hands. I am not sure if she saw us holding hands but even if she did, she didn't call us out. She jsut smiled, checking in on how our day went and she went right on in. She did ask Lam if he wanted to stay over but he declined.

With that she bade us goodbye and went in. Lam looked at me and I just smiled at him, his face was something else though. I looked at it, unable to place it for a moment.

Just as he walked away to his bike, it struck me. Did he look upset or disappointed and if so, why?

The next few days saw me really busy at work and I couldn't meet Lam. Though we texted and called, I just couldn't find a spot of time to meet him. I was constantly away for offsite meetings and what not. Friday rolled around and I finally got a fucking break. However my texts to Lam went unanswered from 2pm onwards. I figured he was busy and so I didn't disturb him. He texted me around 5pm to say he couldn't meet me for dinner as he had to work. I was ok with that and decided to head home instead. Its been like a few days since I also saw my parents properly.

I got home around 6.30pm with snacks and my mother's favorite cakes. When I got home, I could hear voices from the kitchen and I went in. There stood Lam, in his work clothes, busy cooking away, whilst my mother was cutting fruits and my dad was just chatting away with them.

"What is happening? I thought you were working Lam?" I sputtered out in shock.

Lam turned to see me and he smiled. My parents just beamed at me widely. "Well I'm spending some time with my son in law. What's with you? You can join us too if you want."

"Son in law? Mom, what are you.. can't you don't.. "

"Still denying? This boy came to see us today, confessing his feelings and how he's been keeping you at bay. He mentioned how you respected it and went along with it. But he wants to own it so he came by today, mid day, to cook as a surprise for you and tell us everything. I already told you, the two of you have always been a couple in the making, you fool!"

I just stared open mouthed at my mom. More of it was directed at Lam who was just quietly cooking away, but his red ears and blushing face gave it away. What possessed him to confess?

My parents then left the kitchen, citing some reason about wanting to go buy drinks and left us alone. I just stood there, watching Lam who was still cooking. I went over and just held him from behind.

"I'm sorry for pushing you away. That day when I saw your dad wait for your mom, it struck me I very much want that too and when I realized you been doing it for me without even me realising, I knew I been quite the fool. And how much I have hurt you in the process. When you let go of my hands to protect my feelings, the first reaction was hurt because I thought you didn't want to acknowledge us but only when I got home, it hit me, you always did what I wanted, what made me comfortable, what made me happy. I knew you would never shy away from your feelings and you only did it for me. I very much want to be like your parents and we have it Forth. I don't want to give it away. Forgive me na?"

I just held onto him, my eyes pooling with tears. Stupid idiot makes me cry, miss, feel for him and love him so much it makes me so vulnerable. I held on tighter and Lam just hummed. He finished off the stew, switching off the stove and turned to look at me.

"I love you Forth. Be mine. Be my boyfriend. Not friends or what not but my boyfriend. Claim me in public as you would, fight for me if you want, kiss and hold me senslessly."

If there was a prize for a sobbing Cheshire giant, it would be me. I was all of 1.8m tall and here I was sobbing like a baby holding onto my Lam.

Lam held me back tightly and kissed me on my cheeks to convey his feelings. We pulled away from each other and I realized he was crying too. I wiped off his tears slowly and leaned in to kiss his forehead. We broke apart only to hear a giggly old woman and turned around to see both of my parents grinning away.

My mother beckoned us over and we both engulfed her in a tight hug.

Looks like 9 years later, Lam and I have finally reached where we are. :)