25

Falling - Harry Styles

~

Alia stared at her reflection in the mirror, small pants leaving her lips while steam coated the surface as she did so. She had brushed her hair to perfection, her porcelain skin glowing under the light of her room and though it was late at night, she still had light make-up on.

She felt... More beautiful than she had ever looked before, even though she was dressed in such drabby clothes, this clothes being her pyjama pants, but Alex... Alex used to like them.

She wondered if the female would still like them though, it had been... So long.

Alia looked at her clock, taking in a gulp as she did so. It was already seven forty-five. Fifteen minutes before she would come.

If she did.

At Adriana's funeral, she had slipped a note to the twins to give to her when they hugged her, which she was sure they did, but she doubted that Alex would actually... Honour that.

She had asked in the note if Alex could come to her room, at the exact date it was presently, at eight pm. Alia still wasn't sure what had possessed her to do such a thing, perhaps because... Because seeing Alex like that, reminded her of the first time they had met.

They were both in elementary school, Alia, being the Congressman's daughter giving her a higher stature and everyone treated her nicely and Alex who... Who liked to stay on her own and play by herself because apparently, girls didn't like fighting in mud and boys thought girls were disgusting.

A small smile came to her face as she remembered it. One day, she had been playing with her new barbie doll and some boy had grabbed it from her, refusing to give her and it seemed Alex had been looking for an opportunity to hurt someone because she did.

Badly.

It even seemed like Alex was going to get suspended for it but Alia convinced her Dad to let him protect her and eventually, the next day when the girl returned with bandages over her face and hand, Alia had asked her to be her friend.

For years, they stuck together. Alex being the Mother Alia never had the chance to meet, constantly taking care of her as her Father was always too busy and sometimes, when Alia was really sick, she'd bring over her twin siblings and they would all play with her.

Yet, with every year, Alia knew what Adriana was doing to Alex, and no matter how many times she tried to help, Alex always swore that she was fine.

When they got into High School, Alex... Changed. She became friendlier. Livelier. And Alia... Alia had to stay in the background, partly because she didn't want to lose her best friend, though she got hurt being called Alex's little bitch.

Still, she should have known all of that had been Alex's coping mechanism with everything that was going on at home. It seemed to make her forget, at least a little, of the fact her Mother was constantly criticizing her.

And then one day, at a truth or dare party, Alia had been dared to kiss Alex and Alex, who everyone knew was Pan, she never tried hiding it, told Alia she didn't have to if she didn't feel comfortable.

But Alia kissed her eventually.

And it opened a doorway she didn't know existed.

She was gay.