Chapter three

I got dressed in my dark green uniform, a similar one from the day before. I made sure my call sign tag was in its proper place, as well as my navy broach. I then bent down and tied my boots, looping them tight. In the mirror, I slicked my hair back tightly, securing it into a tight, navy grade bun. Once I was up to code in uniform, I walked out of my sleeping quarters and headed across base.

"Stitch." Hex's voice called from behind me. I turned and seen him and Fish jogging over, dresses in tan uniforms.

"Morning." I greeted with a nod.

"We wanted to wish you luck." Fish explained, smiling. I smiled back, grateful. He had landed late last night to help with the recruits in my absence. From our original team of six, Hex and Fish were the only ones remaining. River had gotten married shortly after Cranes death. She and her wife decided to have a baby, so she took some time off to try IVF. She had a beautiful baby girl only a few months ago. Wavern had a terrible accident. His plane had been shot down a year ago. He was able to eject, but not without injury. He lost his legs.

"Thanks." I said.

"We'll walk with you." Hex offered, gesturing to the large building we were all headed to.

"You guys ready to teach the recruits the new maneuver?" I asked curiously as we walked.

"Dammit." Fish sighed, reaching into his pocket and handing Hex a $20 bill. Hex chuckled as he took the bill and slipped it into one of his own pockets. I scrunched my brows, confused.

"What am I missing?" I asked.

"Hex said you would be nervous and start asking about the recruits. I bet him you wouldn't." Fish explained in a sulky voice. My jaw dropped.

"I am not nervous!" I argued, shaking my head.

"Of course you are." Hex disagreed. "This is a big change for you Stitch." I pressed my lips together. He wasn't wrong. And truth be told, I was nervous. I was nervous to leave my team behind. I was nervous I was being put onto a team that wouldn't have the same risks as mine did. But even so, I didn't want them knowing that.

"I'm fine with change." Was my reply. It was pathetic, to say the lease. Hex only chuckled, then pat my shoulder.

"Your secret is safe with us." He assured, winking. I rolled my eyes, but continued forward. The three of us walked in mostly silence, which I preferred. Since Cranes death, we had grown fairly close, mostly because we were teammates and if I didn't have their back, they could die too. I always found that exhilarating, knowing that at any minute I was the person that would have to save them if they were about to be shot down.

After Cranes death it was a duty, to make sure my teammates survived. I was in charge and if anyone died, it was on me. But after some time, it was almost a challenge I looked forward to. I had been getting dangerous with it, willingly putting myself into harms way, even when I didn't have to. It was something only Hex ever caught on to. It was one of the reasons I also knew I couldn't rise in ranks. I wasn't a team leader because I was good at it. I was a team leader because I liked the rush.

"You'll do great today Sadie." Hex promised me as we approached their room. Fish had already wished me luck, before going in. I smiled at my wing man.

"Thanks." I said, he returned my smile. I continued down along the building to the one I needed to be at. When I arrived, I walked in with proper navy posture, seeing all the people from the bar the night before. They were sitting on their tables, or on a chair with their feet up while they waited. Phoenix was the first to see me. She offered a smile and waved, causing the others to look over as well.

"I thought last night was too good to be true." Hangman commented as I approached. He read my name tag and nodded. "Though I guess I was wrong." He added, nodding. I shrugged.