Chapter Ten

I woke up when my alarm began blaring loudly. A groan from Rooster, told me he was still in my bed. I reached over for my bedside table, and turned the alarm off, before rolling to see Rooster burying his head into a pillow. A smile touched my lips when I seen him.

"You really don't like getting up." I stated with a soft raspy chuckle. Rooster turned his head and looked at me, before shaking it slightly.

"Not exactly." He said, the sighed. "But I chose to be in the navy and am burdened with waking up early until I retire."

"You poor soul." I said, before sitting up. I stretched, my arms reaching up and the tank top I had put on before falling sleep, lifted up, showing my stomach. Rooster whistled.

"Damn woman, what are you doing to me so early in the morning?" He asked. I looked down at him and shook my head.

"Oh shut up." I teased, shoving him, before standing up, getting off the bed altogether.

"Where you going?" He whined, a cheeky smirk playing on his lips.

"I'm getting ready for the day." I answered simply, glancing at him over my shoulder. "So that means a shower this morning." I added. He hummed his response.

"Okay, well wake me up when you get out." He said, as I walked into the bathroom.

"Unless you wanted to join me." I called, starting the water. I waited a minute, getting the water to a good temperature. Then I turned around to go bug Rooster, only to find him standing behind me already, with no shirt, but a pair of shorts he had on under his jumpsuit, that he slept in.

"A shower sounds nice." He said, smirking down at me. I rolled my eyes, but couldn't stop the smile. I walked up to him and slowly wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Well, then let's get in." I said softly, inching closer to him, but not close enough that we kissed. Rooster growled quietly, before closing the gap between us.

"You'll be the death of me, I swear." He muttered against my lips. I knew he meant it in a tease, but I couldn't help but be reminded of the nightmare I had the night before. Pushing the thought back, I pulled away from him, and stripped down, before getting into the shower. Rooster was close behind, and we spent part of the morning showering together. Among other things.

When we were done, we got out and dried off, before getting dressed. Rooster wore his clothes from the day before, while I got dressed into a clean jumpsuit. We left, on time for once. Walking out, I was surprised to step into an empty hall, Hex nowhere to be seen. I brushed it off though, and Rooster and I engaged in a quiet conversation on our way to our training room.

Arriving, we met up with our fellow teammates, greeting them joyfully. Phoenix smiled at us, as we walked in, a knowing look in her eyes. When we sat down, I watched as she looked between the two of us, before landing on me and raising her eyebrows suggestively. I only rolled my eyes and shook my head.

"Attention." Admiral Simpson said, as he stalked into the room with his hands behind his back. Everyone scurried to their seats, standing at attention. Once he was at the front of the room, we sat down, staring at him. The clock behind him, indicating our time for the mission, changed from 2:30 to 4:00. "The mission has changed. You will now have four minutes to complete it." He explained. Everyone looked around at each other in a clammer of confusion.

"But sir, the gen 5 jets-"

"You will handle them fine." He cut Phoenix off. "You will engage in the fight."

"We won't be able to fight against them sir." Hangman argued. Admiral Simpson looked at him, then glanced at me.

"You're right, which is why Lieutenant Cross will be part of the team going in. It will be her sole purpose to keep you all safe. We've spent lots of resources training her to be the best fighter, this is her chance to show us how valuable she can truly be." He declared.