Chapter Fifteen

"We need to go for a celebratory drink!" Hangman said as the carrier docked the next night. My team couldn't fly back to our base until our jets were fixed. My jet needed more attention.

"Penny's?" Phoenix suggested.

"Like we'd go anywhere else." Rooster said, taking his phone out of his pocket.

"Yeah, we need to get situated in bunks first, but that sounds fun." I agreed, as we walked towards the ramps to get off the carrier.

"We'll meet there at 8?" Phoenix suggested.

"Sounds good." I agreed while my team and I walked off in the opposite direction as the rest of the group. We got situated, given temporary accommodation in a bunk room. The six of us took turns in the small bathroom, either having a quick shower, or just getting changed.

I had had a shower in the morning on the carrier, so I went in and got change out of my tan uniform, into a pair of light wash high waisted Jean shorts and a dark grey crop top that had a v neck line and inch thick straps. I had also packed a white and grey button up, which I tied around my waist, in case I decided I wanted to wear it once the evening cooled off enough. My black converse had been at the bottom of my bag as well, so with a pair of ankle socks, I slipped them on for comfort.

Walking out of the bathroom, to let Hex in, I started putting my hair up into a very quick and messy bun. When it was done, I had hair sticking out in different directions, and falling around my face, shaping it. It wasn't neat, but I still thought it looked good. At 1930, the six of us left our bunks and started the walk to Penny's. With no vehicle, it was the only way for us to get there. It wasn't terrible, and the sun was still up, so it was still warm and easy to see.

"You think Bradley's new lady friend will be there?" Hex asked me as we walked. The others were a bit behind us having a discussion about a video game they all played. I glanced at my wingman. He was wearing a pair of black shorts and a blue collared shirt. His hair was spiked slightly, and his face was still full of peppered stubble. He looked handsome, in an older gentleman kind of way.

"I don't know." I muttered, turning my attention back towards our path. I could see the dim lights of Penny's bar ahead. By the looks of it, cars already filled the parking spaces and the slight sound of music and people talking could be heard, even from where we were. "But I imagine so."

"How are you going to handle it?" He asked, reaching into his pocket for a pack of smokes.

"I'll probably just ignore them." I sighed, not invested in the conversation. Hex lit his smoke, taking a long inhale. It was a gross habit, but one he dabbled in when he would be drinking a lot. I suppose, with no vehicle to drive, he was going to be getting drunk.

"This will be interesting." He hummed, exhaling the smoke. I scrunched my nose, meeting his gaze. "What?" He asked. I glanced at his cigarette, then back at him, and he sighed, before dropping the fresh smoke, and stepping on it, putting it out completely. "Fine, happy?" He asked, rolling his eyes.

"I'd be happier if you just didn't smoke at all." I said, he chuckled sarcastically.

"I'm 43 Sadie, I can smoke occasionally." He said. I sighed. "But I won't do it near you. You're lucky I like you." He grumbled, I only smiled in response.

When we arrived at Penny's, I seen Roosters bronco parked among all the other cars. My heart jumped a little, knowing full well that I'd have to see him, likely with another woman. He still hadn't told me himself that he had moved on, though I supposed that was mostly due to the fact that it just hadn't come up in conversation.

The six of us walked in. Hex first, then myself, followed by Fish and coach. The other two hung back for a minute, and I quickly realized it was because they were smoking. It was a habit I didn't know they had. Inside, the noise buzzed loudly. Jukebox music played, while people spoke over it in enthusiasm and drunken slurs. Penny was at the bar with a broad smile across her face as she dealt with customers. Around the pool table and staggered at a table close by, was the other team.