Chapter Twenty

**Roosters Perspective**

——- Four Years Ago ———

"We've got this one Stitch, don't worry." One of the men on Beta team said. We had been listening to their chatter as we approached our target. I had always felt a ping of panic for them. A part of me desperately wanted to help them.

"Hex, on me." The women I had recognized as Stitch, said. "Crane, we've got you." By my understanding of their situation, was this Crane guy was in big trouble. Listening, I had a moment of hesitation. Should I bring Alpha team to assist? No, we weren't trained in dog fighting the same way, we'd probably be more of a liability.

"I'm out of flares." The team lead, Crane warned. I had met him briefly before the mission, when he was on his way to get into his jet. I had seen the whole team, but only spoke with him. He was confident, assuring me that his team was up for the task at hand. "I've been shot twice, damage to my guns." He added. I felt panicked for him, but knew the only thing I could do for his team was get the mission done.

"Hex, Wavern, get the bogie behind me." Stitch said, her voice sounding oddly calm, with the knowledge there was a bogie behind her. "Bogie four down." She added shortly after. My team listened quietly, still approaching our target.

"Bogie Five down." Another woman said.

"Bogie six down." It was another man, who I couldn't place.

"He's got a lock." The team lead, Crane warned. Just like Stitch he sounded oddly calm. That was when we got to our target. I could see it just below us, and desperately wanted to get the mission done to help Beta team.

"This is Rooster, Alpha team in place." I said, aiming my sights. We were taking down an enemy base, something we did often. My team lined up, also taking aim. It was a long distance shot, but one made easily.

"Command confirm, take the shot." Command said.

"Copy." I said, before my team took the shot. We waited patiently for our missiles to drop hell onto the base way below.

"Beta team?" Command asked.

"Six bogies down, one more." Stitch answered. There was an edge to her voice that hadn't been there before. I felt my heart jump a little bit in more panic for them.

"I've got smoke! I've got smoke!" Crane exclaimed with a similar edge Stitch had. He was no longer calm and collected. I didn't blame him.

"More bogies incoming." The other woman on beta team said with a panic.

"Crane, eject!" Stitch yelled suddenly, almost cutting the other woman off. Everything was happening so fast. I seen our target blow, but hardly had a second of silence to relay the message.

"Stitch! What happened?" One of the other men asked, his voice uneven.

"Was there a chute?" Another of the men asked, and I desperately wanted to know the answer. The comms were silent for a moment, and I contemplated telling them we had destroyed our target then, but decided it was better to let Beta have their moment.

"No chute." Stitch finally answered in a somber tone that sounded almost like a disbelieving gasp. "Bogie seven down." She added, her voice cracking like she was on the verge of tears. I couldn't imagine what she was going those, losing a teammate.

"We have four more bogies incoming." One of the men said, his voice quiet.

"Engage on the offence." Stitch said after a pause. It was easy to tell she was trying to push through the emotions she was clearly feeling. This was my chance.