Chapter Twenty-Two

"You will have 3 minutes to complete your mission, once you start your flight path." Maverick told us, pointing to the screen behind him. "So, you'll need to be fast. There will be three teams. Two teams of two and and a solo pilot." He continued, as three different sets of jets appeared on the screen. His eyes scanned the room and found me. "Stitch will be the solo pilot." I felt a chill rush over me. I had assumed something like this would happen. We were an odd number, there wasn't enough wingmen for each of us. "Her job will be distracting the SAM's and any inception you may have."

"She can't do that alone." Rooster interrupted. Looking at him, I seen an angry expression across his face. "She'll die." He added. I cringed slightly at his words.

"She's the most experienced in defensive flying Roost. She's the only pilot that's capable of handling this task. The rest of you have gotten better, but it still takes four of you to take me down." Maverick said, being blunt. "She'll be loaded with extra flares for this job. The second team, Rooster, Phoenix and Bob, will fly in from the west. Your job is to destroy a single jet. Our sources tell us it's capable of surfacing an entire city, with the gun power it possesses." He explained. An image of the target appeared, then a graphic simulation showed everyone what team two would be doing. "The third team, Hangman, Payback and Fanboy, will be flying in from the South, your target is a metal building that is said to house their schematics for the jet."

"We're blowing up schematics?" Hangman asked annoyed, Maverick nodded.

"It would be pointless if we sent you in to only blow up the jet. They'd just rebuild in six months and we'd be at square one." Maverick explained, hangman shut up. "Like in our original mission, you will need to fly low with a very specific path. This helps avoid getting yourselves blown up before you can destroy your target. Stitch will be flying 400 feet above you, between your flight lines. If our predictions are correct, she'll be able to set off the SAM's, keeping them focused on her. They'll also only think there's one rouge ship, and hopefully only send their F-18's or Gen 5's."

"And if they don't? And wouldn't her being seen make our time shorter?" Rooster asked. He was looking for holes in Mavericks plan. I couldn't blame him though, because if it had been roles reversed, I'd probably be tying Maverick to a chair and taking over the plans.

"If they don't, then we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Your time is 3 minutes because that's how long I think Stitch will be able to outfly the fighters and SAM's before she runs out of flares. Once your target is destroyed, you will rendezvous with Stitch, where she will lead you through the dog fight and safely back to the carrier." Maverick explained. "We'll spend the next five days practicing the flight lines."

"I don't feel comfortable with this." Rooster admitted.

"I understand that you're worried about stitch." Maverick started, looking at Rooster. "But she'll be able to handle this task. I wouldn't have given it to her if she couldn't." He assured Rooster softly. Bradley sighed, and sunk into his chair. He couldn't argue. Even if he wanted to, if Maverick told us that's how we had to do things, we couldn't fight it.

Maverick had me stay with him in the training room, watching the others. Together the two of us pointed out every single flaw they had in their flight. He was much pickier then I was however. The closer we got to departure, the more nervous he seemed. I understood his worry though. Once again, he had to send a team of pilots into a fight we might not survive. Though this mission was nearly as hard as the first one we flew together, it was still harder then most.

"You need to go faster." Maverick told Rooster over the comms. "With your speed, you won't be fast enough to get back to Stitch. You'll either have to engage in a dog fight without her guidance, or listen to her die." I cringed, listening to Maverick talk. I could only imagine what Rooster must have been thinking just then.