Chapter Seventeen

"Maverick!" I called, as I jogged towards him. I was in a green jumpsuit I'd normally wear under my flight suit. My hair was in its tightly pulled back bun and my combat boots were tied and clanging heavily on the ground. Maverick, who was wearing a similar outfit, slowed his walk as he turned to see me.

"Hey Stitch, I thought you're team was leaving today." He said curiously, tilting his head. It was the day after I woke up in Roosters house. We had slept most the day, and when we woke, he brought me back to base, where I had to face hazing from my team for my drunken night.

"Yeah, but I wanted to talk to you before." I stated, stopping in front of him. So far I had only told Rooster that I'd stay, but I still haven't actually made the plans to do so. I wasn't even fully sure if it was a good idea.

"Well, what can I do for you?" He asked. I pressed my lips together, before sighing.

"I was wondering if your offer still stands. You know, about joining your team." I finally said, meeting his gaze. He looked surprised, but a soft smile reached his face.

"Of course it does." He answered.

"I think I'd like to take you up on it then." I told him. His smile grew, as what I said set in. "I'll need to go home with my crew today and put the official transfer in, then drive back."

"Yes of course. I'll get the paper work started on our end. This is exciting Stitch, I'm very glad you've decided to join us." Maverick said, seeming just as happy as he sounded. I smiled too, feeling mostly confident with my decision.

"I am too. I can't wait to tell the team." I said, his smile dropped a little bit, but it was noticeable.

"Actually, I wouldn't mind if you would keep this to yourself for the time being. I have a dogfighting exercise that I would like to do with the others, but if they know you'll be involved, it'll change the results." He explained. I pressed my lips together, but nodded.

"Okay, sure." I agreed. "I do have to get going though. I should, if the paper work gets done quickly, be back in about a week or two." I added, noticing the time.

"That sounds good. We'll see you then Stitch." He called as I jogged off the way I had come from. I smiled the whole time I ran back to the hanger where my jet was. When I arrived, I seen my team.

"There you are!" Hex exclaimed as I came up to them. "We were starting to wonder if you had forgotten about us."

"I would never." I gasped. "I had to speak with Maverick." A proud, but slightly sad expression reached across Hex's face. I think he understood why I needed to speak with Maverick. "Let's get going though." I added, nodding towards our jets. I got into my flight suit quickly, before climbing up the stairs ground crew had out at my jet.

The flight back to our own base was only a couple hours. After landing and situating our jets, I walked over to Hex, who was patiently waiting for me to get to him. He held his black helmet in his hands, and offered me a small smile.

"You're leaving." He stated when I was close enough to hear him. A sad smile touched my lips, but I nodded.

"I'm going to go see Admiral Audrey to make the transfer official." I told him. He sighed softly.

"I'm glad you're going, but I'm going to miss you." He said sentimentally. I chuckled softly, lightly punching his shoulder.

"You'll have a team to run, you won't have time to miss me." I told him. He raised his eye brows, amused.

"You don't know if I'll be the next lead. Fish could-"

"I'm going to ask that you take over. You're the best thing for the team." I assured him. "In a couple months River will be back, so you can take her as a wingman, or fish if you'd rather."