Chapter Twenty-One

**Sadie's Perspective**

My heart began to race, as the realization of what Phoenix said set in. Jackson was at my front door? I stood up, glancing at a very confused Rooster and an amused Hex.

"Fuck." I muttered, walking out of the room. My heart continued to race. I hadn't seen Jackson since we broke up and I couldn't really tell what I was feeling. Annoyance? Confusion? Worry? Excitement? Panic? All of the above?

"This should be fun." I heard Hex mumble, likely with an amused smirk. I rolled my eyes slightly, walking through my house to the front door. I seen Phoenix first. She was standing in the door frame with her arms crossed over her chest. The door was open only a bit.

"She said you two broke up." I overheard Phoenix say in a bit of a venomous tone. I couldn't help but smile at her instant distrust in him.

"It's complicated." Jackson told her. His voice sounded just as I remembered. I finally reached the door, opening it more and looking passed Phoenix onto the deck. Jackson, a 5'10" man with brown hair and blue eye, stood there. He was wearing a light blue button up, and a pair of black dress pants. His hair was combed and styled, and a five o'clock shadow graced his strong jaw. He smiled when he noticed me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, a bit more monotone then I meant. He looked me up and down, not even trying to hide the fact her checked me out.

"You're selling the house." He pointed out. I nodded slowly, feeling a bunch of angry and annoyed emotions surfacing.

"Very observant of you." I muttered, resisting the urge to roll my eyes. He glanced at Phoenix, then behind me at I'm assuming Hex and probably Rooster.

"Can we have a minute to ourselves?" He asked, looking back at me. I crossed my arms, still standing beside Phoenix.

"No, I want to know why you're here and how to make you go away." I said.

"Well I'm your fiancé." He said like it was obvious, I scoffed and shook my head.

"You left me almost Five years ago. You're not my fiancé." I was honestly shocked that's what he came back to say to me. Phoenix stepped behind me slightly, to give me better access to the open frame.

"Well, I made a mistake. I realized that when I drove by the other day and seen your house up for sale. I realized that I shouldn't have left, I should have stayed and helped you through your brothers death better. You're an amazing woman Sadie, and I want another chance to be yours." He explained, awkwardly looking back at the small group behind me. "I want to try again Sadie, make amends and pick up where we left off." He added. I scoffed again, suppressing a sarcastic chuckle.

"You're joking right?" I asked, gesturing towards him with my hands. "You left five years ago, I've moved on from you."

"Oh come on Sadie, you and I both know that's not true." He said, reaching out towards me. I instinctively stepped back from him, keeping myself out of his grasp. He had never hurt me, not physically, but it was a response I couldn't resist. I felt rooster behind me suddenly, his arm finding my waist protectively, pulling me towards him. Glancing up, I noticed a small glare across his face. Jackson looked at Rooster, furrowing his brows and offering his own glare.

"You need to leave Jackson." I said, grasping his attention again. He looked at me, his expression softening slightly, before darting back towards Rooster, hardening again.

"I see." He muttered finally. "I guess I'll leave." He added, before turning around to walk down the steps. When he reached the bottom step, he turned to look at me again. "Good luck Sadie." He nodded once. I furrowed my brows, still confused. What a weird interaction. We waited until he got into a black Lexus parked in front of my house, and drove off.