Chapter Twenty-Five

Beep.... Beep.... Beep.... Beep....

I took a long inhale, as I began to wake up. I could feel a small sting in my left arm, right where the elbow would bend. To add to it, I also felt a throbbing pain on my right side. The blankets on me were kind of scratchy, and the pillow propping my head up was much too big. I was clearly in a hospital room.

Slowly, I opened my eyes, blinded by the fluorescent lights in the room at first. After a few failed attempts, I was finally able to open my eyes long enough to glance around the room. On the window ledge three vases of flowers promptly sat all different. The first was a short round vase, with short stemmed flowers of oranges and yellows. The flowers were all large and fully blossomed, with little foliage to decorate it. The second was a tall thin vase tinted green. There was three white roses all in different stages of blossoming, it was very simple, but beautiful. The third was by far the most grand. It was a large crystal vase with countless flowers of all different kinds and colours. Sprouts of green decorated the bouquet, foliage added to it. A purple ribbon had been tied around the vase as well, adding to its colours. The only consistency between the three bouquets was each had a little letter, that were too far for me to read.

With the vases was seven "Get Well Soon" cards, standing scattered along. I wondered what they all said, and momentarily contemplated getting up to read them. Though, trying to sit up shot a world of pain through my right side, and I quickly decided against it. A few random balloons were held down by weights as well, floating their best wishes and words of encouragement. A small smile touched my lips, realizing that I had more people in my life that cared for me, then I thought.

Though, I couldn't help but frown shortly after, realizing I was alone. I didn't expect my friends to put their lives on hold, but I was slightly disappointed that nobody was here. Sighing, I adjusted the hospital bed, so it was in an upright position, allowing me to sit up. I was wearing a hospital gown, which gave me access to see the large bandage on my right side. The bandage, once white, was slightly stained red down the middle of it. Though it wasn't too harsh, which lead me to believe that it had gotten much needed stitches, and was beginning to heal.

"Miss. Cross, you're awake." Someone said while I looked at the bandage. I dropped the robe and looked over at a forty something year old nurse. She looked startled to see me awake. Her dusty blonde hair was in a pony tail, pulled out of her face. Her light blue scrubs made her brown eyes seem almost black in contrast.

"I woke about ten minutes ago." I said, my voice much hoarser then I was expecting. I noticed right after I spoke, how dry my mouth was. The nurse seemed to notice my discomfort, and was quick to fill a paper cup with water for me. I drank it quickly, in a large gulp, before placing the empty cup on the table beside me.

"I'm Mikaela, I was just about to change your bandages." She explained, revealing the new gauze she had with her. I nodded.

"Nice to meet you Mikaela." I greeted, as she walked around to my right side, and pulled a chair over.

"How are you feeling?" She asked softly as she began to peel back the old bandage.

"I'm okay." I answered. I hadn't been awake long enough to make a full assessment on how I was feeling. She nodded slightly. I watched her, seeing the wound. It was bruised around the cut, but as I had suspected, it was stitched back together. "How long have I been out?" I asked, as she got the new bandage ready.

"Four days. But I'll let the doctor talk to you about everything else. I'll get him as soon as I'm done." She said. I nodded, though realized she wasn't looking at me.

"Okay." I muttered. "Why is nobody here?" I asked, out of sheer curiosity. She cut a piece of tape, sticking the bandage to my body.

"You did have people here, when you first arrived. They came and went all day. But we called your emergency contact, and he said he didn't want anybody bothering you, and only gave himself and your admiral permission to visit." She explained. I furrowed my brow, confused. But then realization set in as I remembered who my emergency contact was.