Chapter Twelve

"You're one lucky son of a bitch." Hangman said, after listening to Rooster explain what happened in more detail. We were all in a large room with couches and games. It was where people hung out while we sailed. The carrier had turned back towards base, so we had another two days before we'd be safely back on US soil.

"I don't disagree." Rooster chuckled. He was sitting beside me on a couch, with Fanboy on my other side. Hangman was in a recliner, though he was leaning forward in it. Bob, Payback and Phoenix were around a square table playing a card game.

"Too bad I let you be the assist, Stitch, otherwise I'd have a second kill." Hangman sighed, finally leaning back in his chair, now that Roosters story was done. I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"Dont kid yourself. You would've missed." I said, gaining a couple chuckles.

"I for one felt safer knowing Stitch was on standby." Payback chimed in from the table. "If there had been a real dogfight, she would have kicked ass. I'm just sorry we didn't get to witness it firsthand." He added with a small sigh.

"Dont, it's not that great." I said modestly. "Things can get out of hand quickly."

"Why'd you choose to be a dog fighter anyways?" Hangman asked. I felt everyone's eyes on me, as the intrigue of the question set in.

"I didn't really choose to be, I was recruited. Iceman seen my skill and wanted me to expand it beyond stealth." I explained with a shrug. "Though I sometimes wish he hadn't."

"Why? You're one of the most sought after dog fighters Topgun has produced!" Fanboy exclaimed, I chuckled softly.

"Being sought after isnt all its set out to be." I sighed softly.

"It's because of Daniel, isn't it?" Rooster asked softly. I glanced at him, noticing a slightly somber expression across his face.

"Yes." I answered. Though I wanted to add that it wasn't entirely because of my brother, but because of what happened to me after. Because I panic now when someone I really care about is flying. Because when Rooster almost died, I felt like a failure all over again, and I wasn't even in the air.

"What do you wish you'd trained to do instead?" Phoenix asked the question, drawing her attention away from her cards for a second. Payback stretched up, trying to peak, which she rebutdtaled with a smack on the head.

"I'm not sure." I shrugged.

"I'd be a dog fighter, if I had the chance to choose." Hangman said. "Seems thrilling."

"I have to second that." Payback agreed, lifting his finger up.

"I'd have picked search and rescue." Bob chimed in. "I'd be helpful there."

"You're helpful with me." Phoenix assured him, offering him a smile. He smiled back kindly.

"Stealth through and through." Fanboy said.

"I enjoy stealth, but I wouldn't mind being versatile, like Mav." Rooster answered.

"Awe, look at you, looking up to Mav now that he saved your life." Hangman teased, raising the tone of his voice. Rooster rolled his eyes.

We spent the rest of the evening chatting about anything that came up, before going to bed. The next day, in the mess hall, I sat with my bunk mates, eating the dry food the kitchen staff whipped up. Maverick walked over, sitting down with us, looking between Rooster and I.

"I need you two to come with me." He said. Rooster and I looked at each other, confused.

"Ooooh, you're in trouble." Payback sang. I scoffed, rolling my eyes, while Rooster just chuckled. We got up and followed Maverick to an empty hall, where he stopped walking and turned to us with a beaming smile.