Chapter 5- Was I Selfish?

(~Dream's POV~)

"You've left yourself open to any threats on your life, from both inside and outside of your empire. How could I not notice that, Dream?" Cross expresses his concerns firmly. "Cross, I'm grateful for you trying to be a caring friend...but.."

Huffing in great distress and quite possibly agitation, my informant leaned his body against the large trunk of a tree. He didn't want to face me. He didn't want to listen to my excuses. Instead, Cross watched as the sun disappeared behind the tops of the forest trees, the sky being painted in different shades of red and orange.

Shadows casted themselves along his skull and cloak. His red and white eyes slowly shifted back toward me. The wind whistled through the forest trees, making the leaves produce a rushing sound as they all wrestled against one another.

(Writer~San: Oh my gosh! It's the Oreo Skeleton twin I never asked for- *wheeze* I actually considered changing my username at one point because so many people thought it was a reference to Cross

(Writer~San: Oh my gosh! It's the Oreo Skeleton twin I never asked for- *wheeze* I actually considered changing my username at one point because so many people thought it was a reference to Cross. No, it wasn't, because five years ago I didn't even know he existeddddd~)

"Cross, you already knew of my intentions from the start." "You're right, your majesty, and I still don't agree with you." He snapped back.

I sigh, taking a moment to observe the faint stars in the sky. ".... How is my brother doing?" Cross picked a small twig off the tree's lower branches, observing the leaves. "The dark emperor's anger has actually toned down a little more from the usual. Though, that definitely won't last once Dust gets back from his scouting mission."

My soul skipped a beat as I caught onto those last few words. "Cross.. WHAT SCOUTING MISSION?"

Cross definitely failed to mention that Nightmare had been sending out scouts. Just last week, Killer and Horror were found along the border, but where had Dust been assigned? The aggravated skeleton rolled his pupils, growling, "Like I already told you before, you left your castle empty and unguarded. Rumors spread across the border in one way or another. What else did you think was going to happen, Dream? Nightmare wants to find out why and he probably already has. I suggest that you strategize your next move. He'll go after the human."

Immediately, my thoughts went to Y/N. My soul panicked as I stepped back. Anxious thoughts deep into my mind like poison.

'I never should've left.'

Cross is my friend but is still marked of the moon empire. For a while now, we've always met here in this forest at sunset. Usually, Cross would give me information to help predict any incoming attacks, or he'd train me in how to protect myself. I'd bring him some of the sweets from my kingdom. He says that our chocolate is better. We do have some of the best farmers and bakers here. Sometimes Cross and I would just talk about anything, comforting each other when days hadn't gone exactly in our favor. I feel close to him, just as if he would've been one of my knights.