Chapter 20- "Celebratory" Ball Part 2

(~Your POV~)

"Dream, I want you to mark me." No sooner that those words left my mouth, Dream spit out his drink. Others around him exclaimed in slight panic as the emperor continued to harshly cough and choke. From others, angered murmuring came from the small crowd.

"Who does this lady think she is? She ought to be thrown out, speaking to the emperor in such a way."
.
"Good god- Who let an outcast in here?"
.
"Shame is surely to be brought upon her, and the worthless beings who raised her without manners."

'Did I.. Did I do something wrong?'

"Y/N, c-coMe hEre." Sans barely manages to say. Dream quickly pulls his hood further over his face and bluntly ignores the people who try to stop him. Sunshine clears his throat and grabs my wrist, urgently pulling me away from the ballroom. We go down a hall where Dream then guided me to one of the hidden passageways. These were built in between castle walls as a means for the servants to easily get around from room to room.

"Dream. Why were they upset? Wasn't that what you wanted-" "Silence yourself, please." He opens the small door disguised as part of the wall and pulls me through it.

Sans passed through so quickly that he failed to see the servant coming out the same way. They stumbled into each other, a tray of empty glasses falling from the servant's hands. "WoAh! Are you okay?!" I hurry forward and grab the servant's arm, pulling them back to balance. Beside me, Dream uses his intense reflexes to catch all the glasses, swiftly stacking one on top of the other in his hands. "YouR mAjesty. LaDy Y/N? Why are you and the mistress..? Wait, uHm- Forgive me for my poor choice of words. Is everything alright? Has something happened in the ballroom?"

These passages can also be used as a means of escape for the royals in the case of an emergency. Sans even encouraged me to use them if such an emergency is to occur. So, I can understand why the servant got worked up at the sight of us so quickly.

"My apologies for bumping into you. Nothing is wrong." Sans continues quickly, handing the cups back to them, "Please take these. Lady Y/N and I need a moment to catch our breath and discuss important matters. If you could please tell the others to refrain from using this path for five minutes-"

"Of course, Your Excellency. I'll let them know right away." They rushed away immediately. Dream waited for a long while, making sure no one else would come speeding down the same hallway. Finally, he takes a deep breath and looks back to me.

"Y/N."
.
"I'm sorry. I upset you."
.
"No, you didn't. I believe I misunderstood the intention. What exactly are you talking about?"
.
"The mark of the kingdoms. If I have a mark of your empire, no one will fight against you anymore."

Dream suddenly grabs at his chest and lets out a long sigh, "Thank thE stArs thAt's the onE you mEant-" I'm left in a deep sense of puzzlement.

It's only now that I realize how frantic and flustered the emperor had become. Sans' face is glowing completely yellow. All by ourselves in the dark and quiet corridor, I can even hear his soul's speeding heartbeat.

'One? OnE? There's multiple types of marks?! What did he think I meant?!!'

Whatever it was, I probably shouldn't mention it for now. "Y/N, what brought this up all of a sudden? I thought we agreed to take things a little slower." "I know but the lord said that you-.." I cut myself off. Seeing Dream's expression instantly turn from worried confusion to angered disbelief already gave me the sign I needed to shut my mouth. He turns away from me and snarls, "I TOLD THEM TO LEAVE YOU ALONE!"