Chapter 9- The Moon Empire

(~Nightmare's POV + Two Days Later~)

Even though it's been two days, chatter every night at dinner has been all about our new guest.

"Is the human awake yet?" Horror asked, cutting into the venison he'd hunted and cooked for everyone. "If it is, haven't heard a sound." Dust was the first to reply but his tone definitely portrayed him being annoyed with the topic. "You think she already died without the warm embrace of her one true love?~ Heh, That'd be a shame! I was really looking forward to being her executioner." Killer teases with a smile.

Cross scoffed loudly, standing up from the table, "You can't be any more childish, can you Killer?" "And what's got your bones rattled? You don't actually care about the human, do you?" Killer retorted. Honestly, it felt more like a subtle threat or warning.

"OF COURSE NOT!" Cross' eyes sparked into a fierce glow. In rage, he slammed his empty plate to the table and shattered it as a result. I stand from my seat, speaking up, "Cross. Unnecessary." I was met with a furious glare from him. Then came an obscene remark, "It was unnecessary to assume you were invited to this conversation, Your Majesty."

That was definitely a targeted disrespect to my authority. The magic within my soul begins to stir. Behind me, I feel the tentacles on my back grow overcome with tension.

"Now you've done it, numbskull." Dust whispered, pulling his hood further down his skull as he quietly continued to eat his food. Horror said nothing, already shrinking in his seat. Even Killer was trying to find ways to hide, slowly scooting his chair farther from the table.

'Well that attitude certainly won't be welcome here-'

With one singular thought, a tentacle of mine shot over and grabbed Cross by the neck. Cross quickly realized what he had done, his eyes widening with fear. My smile grew as did my strength, feeding off the negativity in the room.

With Cross suspended above the ground, I gradually pull him closer to me. "Where are your manners? Your emperor trusts you, gives you a place to rest your head, and lets you have food to eat. In return, you mock and shame my authority over a petty disagreement." I bring him up close and personal, saying softly, "Is there anything else you'd like to say, Cross?" My other tentacles wrap around his limbs, subtly tightening their grip.

"I wonder which one I could break first-" "I'm s-sorry." He stumbles, not even able to look me in the eye. "WITH RESPECT!" I snap, causing him to flinch. Cross' hands grab tightly around the restraint on his neck, trying to pull it away.

"Forgive me, Your Excellency! If such insolence is to be heard from me again, you may do to me as you wish. Through the cycle of change with the moon's passing phases, my loyalty will forever belong to you."

'That's better.'

Finally, my nerves begin to calm. I lower Cross and let him stand on his own two feet. Then, I release hold of him entirely. Cross took a shaky breath in, rubbing his hand across his neck.

"I may be a patient emperor, Cross. However, that doesn't give you a free excuse. You mustn't forget your place." I warn him. He immediately falls to the floor bowing in submission, "O-Of course, M-My King..."

I sigh, turning to the other three. Having lost my appetite with their constant bickering, I step from my seat and to the dining hall's exit. Moments before stepping out, I command, "Now, about the visitor... You will retrieve her early tomorrow morning, and bring her to me."

"Yes, Your Majesty." They chimed in unison.

I take a deep breath, strolling down the hall. I need to go to my quarters and prepare for tomorrow. No doubt, suspicions have grown by now about the girl's disappearance. My brother will do anything in his strength to retrieve her.