Chapter 18- Last Chance

(~Your POV~)

Dream locked himself in his personal quarters for most of the day. Similarly to what happened with Nightmare, it seems that I said the wrong thing. My mind was quick to latch onto the idea. As a result, my anxiety continued to grow throughout the day.

"My lady, is there something else you would rather to eat?" My personal servant inquired, bringing out my untouched plate of lunch.

I snap back to reality and look across the dining hall. All of the seats are empty. Half of me misses the constant chatter between Nightmare and the trio. Even if Nightmare didn't talk much besides scolding them, it was still company. The other part of me was really looking forward to having a easygoing conversation with Dream, even if he did sit all the way across the table as usual.

We haven't had the chance to eat together since I got back. It's my first full day back in the Sun Empire and already this is what I deserve? Instead of being with Dream, I'm all on my own.

'Get used to it. This is what the next two weeks are going to be like.'

Disturbed by the negative thought, I speedily stand from my seat. I lower my head in a polite gesture whilst telling the servant, "I'm afraid that I'm not hungry as of yet. Please send the chef my apologies." "But Y-Your Highness-"

I escorted myself from the room, hugging my arms close to my chest.

(~Dream's POV + Time Skip~)

Ink and Blue haven't returned. I've already lost too many knights, friends, to that wicked trio. Of course we knew the risks of getting Y/N back but now I'm defenseless. Who knows if my best friends are even still alive?

I sigh as I massage both of my temples. There's too much information for my soul to process right now.

Nightmare isn't a separate entity of corruption like I'd eventually came to convince myself. The lords convinced me that once my brother consumed the apple, Night was ultimately consumed with it.

If Y/N was right, Night is Nightmare. When the incident first happened all those years ago, I believed this too. I was so desperate to get Night back, but it never happened. After so long, I just gave up. Now the idea is back and it's even harder for my heart to grasp.

'If so, why is he doing this? We've been playing this game of tug of war with each other for so long and he never said anything.'

How many times had I tried to reach out to him? How many times had I pleaded for my brother to come home? I never asked him to apologize for what he'd done. I just wanted Night back. Instead, I come to learn that he's not being forced to do this. His actions can no longer be blamed on the apple's doing.

Nightmare, Night included, chose war.

I scream out in frustration, throwing all my books off my desk with one sweep. Breathing heavily, I turn away from the mess and claw firmly at my head.

'Of course, my head hurts..'

I know I need to calm down. Sitting here and being mad about the past isn't going to solve anything. What's done is done. Right now, I need to find a way to stop Nightmare before he tries to hurt Y/N.

There was a subtle knock on my office door, startling me. "Crap-" I mutter, glancing over the trashed state of my office.

'Please don't let Y/N see me like this-'

The door opened quickly and a servant stepped in. "Your Majesty? I heard you scream. Is everything alright?" It was both a relief and still an inconvenience.