Chapter 7- On The Horizon

Writer~San: Art isn't mine but it's so freaking adorable- I LOVE the style! Looks like it could be the loading or Home Screen to a game, lol. Anyways, thanks for waiting.. TwT
.
.
(~Your POV~)

"YoU cAn'T gEt awAy!" Dream laughed, shouting from behind me. Running through the grassy field feels exhilarating.

After another day of training in the forest, he suggested that we go back as he always does. But me? I wanted Dream to push past the formal routines for once. He needs some time to enjoy himself and the scenery around him. So I ran past the tree line, into the grassy fields I had encountered yesterday.

'There's nothing better to do that than playing a child's game!'

"BUT I SURE WILL TRY TO! CATCH ME IF YOU DARE!" I yell. Sans is still lagging some ways behind me. He'll catch up though. I know he will. I have to keep the advantage while I can. The tall grass and wildflowers reach just inches from my waist. Each gentle blade of grass brushed against my legs as I ran past. The wind blew against us from the right, just enough to send an autumn chill down my spine. Adrenaline helped me to push myself further. So, I ran even faster.

I became sort of lost in it, in my surroundings to be more specific. Having never explored more than two places, my mind and heart soaked it all in. I've had a feeling similar to this. For example, seeing the shallow fog rise from the castle garden and the early morning dew sparkle on the flora there. The garden and its beauty leaves me in awe every single time. The feeling in this pasture is similar and yet different at the same time. The endless open fields, the wind in my hair; both make me feel so open and free. I'm completely captivated.

Then, my mind was brought back to that night.

(~Memory~)

"The world has so many wonders, Y/N. If you want, I can show them all to you." Dream shifts himself closer to my side of the bed without any warning. All my thoughts cease to exist. Simple words can't even manage to leave my mouth. My soul begins racing. Again, it tries to pull towards him, filling me with feelings that both excite and confuse me. My face grows warmer than ever.

His bright yellow eyes stare into mine. I can see the clear softness and longing in them. Just from those factors alone, I knew I didn't have to ask him. Dream is telling the truth.

(~End Memory~)

'I couldn't tell him that night, but-... I want to see more of the world, with Dream, just like this..'

Out of nowhere, my gaze locked onto large silhouettes that had appeared on the horizon. I halted to a sudden stop, looking closely at those forms in the distance.

'What is..?'

"Y/N!" It was moments later that I turned around, just to get plowed into by Dream. I definitely wasn't prepared for that. I shriek, losing my balance and harshly falling back onto the ground. Dream fell on top of me. I opened my eyes to see our faces hovering inches away from each other. His hands were placed by both of my shoulders, making it seem like he had purposely pinned me here. I felt my body shiver. I can't tell if I'm winded by the fall, or just the realization of seeing how close he is. I feel each of Sans' heavy breaths on my neck, flustering me even further. It's almost a little too overwhelming. I'm noT pRePaRed!

Dream's face quickly radiated with yellow blush. He stared down at me. Both of us have no clue on what to do. The moment is definitely lasting a lot longer than it should be.

'Is he going to..'

Maybe he needs a little assurance? A hint that I'm okay with it? I subtly drew my face closer, giggling, "Um.. Sunshine?"

I flinched as Dream abruptly cleared his throat. The emperor pulled away, rushing to get himself off of me. "I-I told y-you that I'd c-catch you.." He mumbles, turning away from me completely. Sans takes the next few moments to fix his clothes and wipe the sweat from his skull. I sigh through a hurting smile.

'Should've known... Don't push him, Y/N.'

I was foolish to be that naive. Of course he wouldn't want to kiss me. Dream looks up above the grass and up at the clouds overcast, "Sorry, my behavior was impulsive. An empire's ruler shouldn't be tackling a lady, or anyone, like that..."

'But... Aren't we going to be more than that? If I'm bound to be his wife.. I.. I don't mind..'

I wanted to tell him, but his actions are already giving me the sign that he'd try to distance further. Dream stands himself up, offering his hand to me also. When I went to accept it, Dream flinched. Surprised, he looked to my hands. "Y/N, your hands are freezing cold-"

'AgAin?'

Irritated at myself, I stand up and forcefully change the subject, "What's over there?" I stare at the objects in the distance. Sans looked too. He took a deep breath, his gaze opening to a hidden sadness. "So that's what you stopped for.. It's the ruins. Those shadows you see are pieces of the stone walls that haven't yet crumbled." He mumbled.

'Oh...'

Dream turns his focus back to me. He brings my hands up to his face and then gently pecked them. It was his small gesture of silently saying, "I know you changed the subject but your health still comes first." Well, it had a different effect. Instead of paying attention to the message, my hands warm up like a furnace and my soul is freaking panicking that he actually kissed my hands. Sans cups his own hands around mine, holding them.

He speaks in a low and calm tone, telling me, "It's a place I'd rather that you stay away from for now, okay?" Dream then looks back to the fallen kingdom. He stood there for a long time, staring out to it. I recognize that look on him.

'He's thinking hard about something.'

"Y/N."
.
"Yes, Dream?"
.
"Why don't you go back to the tree line and wait for me? If I take too long, you know the way back to the castle. Right?"

I straighten my posture, surprised by what he's asking.

'He wants me to leave him here- Alone?! No way! We're walking home together. I don't care if it gets dark. He'll need my comfort, whether Dream chooses to admit it or not.'

"Y-Yes, I know the way by now but I can wait. I can tell that... You'll need someone to talk to on the way home. Or!- You don't even have to talk! I just want to be there beside you, Sans..."

"Thank you, Y/N." Sans chuckles softly. He pulled his cloak's hood further in front of his face but I already noticed the tears forming in his eyes. My heart hurts for him. It was so hard not to cry with him! I can only imagine the turmoil his soul is in right now. This fallen kingdom, most likely having been the first and only empire, holds a lot of memory for him. Who knows how long it's been since he's actually seen it? From the small clues in conversation that I've gotten from Dream and the journals I secretly read in his office, it's where Dream was raised..

It's also where his future for a hopeful world, and a life ruling as emperor beside his brother, were ripped away from him..

Before Dream can walk away, I grab his shoulder and turn him toward me. Without warning him, my face is already tucked within his hood. As a small grateful gesture of my own, I gently kissed the side of his skull. I felt him jump. Immediate heat forms from his cheeks.

'Sans.. I adore you..'

I should've told him, but instead I whisper, "Be careful.. Please." "N/N, I-I-I-" I pull back, seeing Sans' completely flustered face. His pupils have shifted to tiny hearts, making me smile and blush even further. He can't even focus enough to speak or look me in the eyes.

'Goodness, Sunshine..! You're too cute for your own good.'

I try not to laugh so as not to embarrass him. "I'll see you later when you return." I finished. Then, I started on my way back to the forest.

.
.
Writer~San: Back again- Sorry for the late chapter. I got a little busy again. It's okay though, you can still expect chapters to be posted regularly! Hope everyone's having a good day today. (^w^)~