Three Days Grace

*Natasha's PoV*

I could hear the police sirens following me. I tried to skate away as fast as I could but it's really hard to go faster than a car on a puny little skateboard that's been way over used. I hopped off of it and started running, I could get to places cars couldn't. I ran into the backyard of one house and ran the opposite direction of the police cars. I raced across the lawn hopping every fence. I kept changing directions and going from yard to yard until I heard the sirens stop. This was not a good place to be camping out in.

I hopped back onto my skateboard and headed for the library. I picked up my board and shoved it in my backpack as I headed up the stairs and into the building. The lady at the front desk looked up at me.

"Did you get in trouble again, Natasha?" she asked.

"Yeah I've gotta move again," I said, staring at a map of Toronto.

"Well, all you've got left are the fancier neighborhoods and you know how rich people react to a girl on the streets," she said looking into my eyes. I knew what she meant. She's always worried I'll get caught by the police and dragged to a foster care place or taken back home. The richer the person, the more likely they'll call the cops on me. I ran away from my house about 6 years ago for reasons I'd much rather not remember. I lived in Colorado but I knew my parents would be searching for me so I ran away to Toronto. I know what you're thinking, why would I go all the way to Toronto from Colorado? I needed a fresh start. I saved up all my money and then set off on my journey I'd skate through cities and then take buses and trains through towns and states to get up here. Since I never stayed in the same spot long I never got a job and instead worked as a street performer. It took me two years to get here but I made it and got a job at the library. Ms. Parker, the librarian with the big glasses and the gray hair is the only person I know here. I always come here to use the maps so I decided to start earning some decent money working here days and street performing nights. The only problem is that not so many people like me camping outside or even being outside at night. Over the past 4 years here I have been chased by so many policemen that I can't believe I'm not a wanted criminal. Then again I've never done anything wrong.

"Don't worry," I told her. "I'll get out alive. I'll try to stay on the down low instead of the high road so that way they won't notice me much and I won't end up a chalk outline." I loved using the names of Three Days Grace songs. It's entertaining to see how many you can fit.

"Well, if you're going to be in the rich spots at least get cleaned up so that you don't look like such a hoodlum," she said. "Toss me your jacket and laundry, I'll get that all washed and you can go up to my apartment upstairs and take a shower."

Ms. Parker is too nice. She's like a mother to me, always doing my laundry and allowing me to use her apartment every once in a while. She's offered to let me move in but she's just so stressed that I didn't want to be a nuisance to her.

She handed me her apartment key and I headed up the stairs to her room. I unlocked the door and headed in. Another reason why I didn't want to move in was because her place is so small. It's really cramped even for just one person. I slipped past her bed and headed for her restroom. I looked in the mirror.

Boy, I really did need to clean up. My long black hair was a tangled mess and my bangs were so long that they covered my right eye at an awkward angle. My face was pale and my ribs showed from not eating in a while. My normally bright blue eyes were darker and lacking their normal shine. I turned on hot water and at first just sat in the hot water and relaxed in the steam. Then I started to wash out my hair and scrub all the dirt off my body. I got out and dried off. I got dressed in some new jeans and a t-shirt I bought today. I dried off my hair and brushed it out. I grabbed some scissors and cut my bangs to that they'd swoop over my eye instead of in it. I opened up my backpack and looked to see what I was running low on. I filled up some bottles of water and grabbed some batteries for things like flashlights. I searched for leftover food she wouldn't mind me having. After filling up I waited for her to come back while planning out my way to the new neighborhood.

"See now you look marvelous, Tosh!" she exclaimed as she brought up my clothes and jacket. I packed up the clothes she brought me.

"Why thank you, Ms. Parker! I'm glad I met you; otherwise I'd probably look even worse than I already did," I said.

"Well I'm glad you came here. You've been such a big help, not many girls are like you these days."

"Yeah, lots of girls have turned snobbish. At least you can always rely on me!" I said. "Well I better get going so that I can make it there before dark. See you later!" I gave her a hug as I headed towards the door.

"Please be careful Tosh!" she yelled after me.

"Okay!" I yelled. I had no idea what was going to happen next...