십칠 :: chapter XVII

"Tae! We're not supposed to be here." Jeongguk reminded again, his brows narrowed together into a worried frown dominating half of his face.

The said male looked behind his back, precisely into his eyes and smiled reassuringly. His own eyes shining and mirroring the trees surrounding them into a thick, luscious forest.

Earlier, Taehyung had asked him whether they could have a little fun together after having completed their part of the task handed over to them by Namjoon.

Jeongguk had, no doubt, said yes and regretted right away when the elder leaded him outside the academy and somewhere deep inside the forest into which Jeongguk was quite afraid to step in first.

Nonetheless he had followed Taehyung, prioritising his company over the idea of being left back alone.

"What...are you up to?" He asked hesitantly, looking over at the elder's sheepish grin.

"There's a pond nearby, supposedly there was, in the real world. It should be here somewhere too. Let's go for a swim. How does that sound, hm?"

Jeongguk didn't know what to feel about the situation anymore. Yes, he felt excited. But also, there was a part of him which feared the situation considering how unrealistic this world precisely was.

"You sure, it's safe for us?" He prompted uncertainly.

"Yes, don't worry. Besides, we'll return before the others get to know about our mini adventure." Taehyung reassured, inhaling a deep breath later to relish the coolness present in the air surrounding them.

Looking at him, it felt like what stepping into a forest should feel like.

Jeongguk hummed, satisfied. A grin appeared over his face, nodding, he said, "Let's go take a dip then."

The air around them got cooler the more they got closer to their destination, the pond. The branches lay scattered over the muddy uneven forest flooring and a thick canopy having rays of sun coming filtered shined above them into a natural, healthy greenery.

It all felt pleasing.

And the way Taehyung marched through the forest with his steps unfaltering made Jeongguk wonder how often he must've visited this place for him to lead the path without a single ounce of hesitance.

"Did you come here too often? I mean, in the real world?" He asked anyway, knowing the answer would perhaps be what he had already guessed.

"Yes." Taehyung smiled, "During the breaks which we got after our training. It's like my secret place. At times, I would just sit there doing nothing. There were also times when I'd go for swims."

"You know.." He continued, "At one time, I also wished for you to be there with me."

Jeongguk blushed, looking at the elder's back while they continued walking the trail leaded by him and he wondered how easy it was for Taehyung to say these typical things which makes his heart do a somersault inside his chest.

There's no way Taehyung didn't have any experience before him. But knowing him since childhood, he knew he was just as much new to this as he was.

And now that he's aware of how the other truly felt about him, it's hard not to overlook the fact that this, indeed felt different.

He hummed, "How long more to reach there?"

"We're almost there. Look." Jeongguk narrowed his gaze into the direction Taehyung pointed over. Behind the thick trunk of trees, he could spot the clear, still, ocean blue water. It's scent of wet soil, which lingered around in the moist air had a desirable taste to it.