Jack's Sister

Hello everyone! This oneshot was requested by Trumpetplayer24601, I hope you enjoy it!
~~~
Jack's POV

My sister has been staying at the lodging house recently. My sister is 6 years old and her name is Kaitlyn. She loves the other newsies. All the time she's not spending with me, she's spending time with the others.

"Hey Kaity Kait, come here," I hear Race call and see Kaitlyn run over to him. She jumps into his arms and he hugs her tightly. I smile at the two and go back to my conversation with Albert.

"She's gotten along nicely with the gang," Albert says and crosses his arms.

"Yea, she has. And everyone has treated her great, especially you and Race," I say and smile at him.

"Training to be a dad I guess," Albert says with a slight smile and shrugs.

"Well, you're doing a great job," I say and smile at him.

"Jackie! Coloring book!" Kaitlyn says and Race nods along with her.

"Do you want one too Racer?" I ask and laugh a little as he nods. I nod and walk into mine, Crutchie, and Kaitlyn's room. I grab two coloring books, some colored pencils, some crayons, and some markers. I walk back out and place them on the table. As I turn and I'm about to walk back to Albert, I feel a little hand grab my finger.

"Come draw with Racey and I Jackie !" Kaitlyn says and looks up at me pleading. I nod lightly and sit in a chair next to Race. I grab Kaitlyn and move her in the air like she's an airplane. She puts her arms out like airplane wings and starts giggling. I stop moving her in the air and kiss her cheek. I sit her down on my lap and she grabs a coloring book. We soon begin to color, me coloring a picture with Kaitlyn and Race coloring one of his own. We all laugh and color together.

*Time Skip*

A couple minutes later, we hear the lodge doors open. I look over and see Davey and Les. I pick up Kaitlyn and walk over to the two.

"A fellow kid! I'm Les!" Les says excitedly and sticks out his hand for Kaitlyn to shake. Kaitlyn gets a little bit shy and hugs me tighter.

"It's okay Kaitlyn, Les is nice," I say reassuringly and smile at her. I set her down so now she's standing in front of Les. She goes behind my leg and hugs it.

"Sorry Les, she'll warm up to you. She's only 6 and is shy," I say apologetically and ruffle his hair.

"It's okay! Im not scary though," Les says and shrugs. He then runs over to Albert and gives him a fist bump. Davey smiles down at Kaitlyn and she smiles back. She walks over to Davey and lifts her arms up. Davey hesitantly picks her up and she hugs Davey.

"Awww, she likes you," I say and smile at the two.

"That's weird that she instantly liked me, but not Les," Davey says and looks at the little one in his arms.

"I think she just has an instant liking to the older kids because she warmed up quickly to the other newsies," I say and watch Kaitlyn. She grabs Davey's hat and putting it on her head. His hat falls into her eyes and she giggles. Davey pushes his hat up out of her eyes and smiles.

"Why'd you come? Not saying I don't want you here, but.." I say and trail off.

"I know what you mean. Les just wanted to see Albert and I wanted to come say hi to you," Davey says and smiles at me.

"How sweet," I say and pat his shoulder. Kaitlyn lifts her arms towards me and I take her from Davey's arms.

"I think it's time for you to get some sleep Kait," I say and walk with her to her room. I give her her pajamas to change into and she changes into them. I tuck her into bed and kiss her forehead.

"Goodnight Jackie," Kaitlyn says and gives me a hug. I hug her back and she lays back down. She yawns and turns on her side to fall asleep. I sneak out quietly and go back to Davey. After a few minutes of taking to Davey, I hear crying. Davey, Race, and I rush to Kaitlyn's room. I open the door and sprint to her bed. She jumps into my arms and I hug her tight. I feel her shake and I frown.

"It's ok Kait, im here," I say and lightly rock her. I look over at Race and Davey and they look worried. Race walks over to the bed and sits next to me.

"What happened Kait?" I ask and look at her with concern.

"S-Scary nightmare," Kaitlyn says between cries. Kaitlyn snuggles into my chest and listens to my heart beat. I quietly hum an unknown tune to try and calm her down. I hear her slowly stop crying and calm down a bit. I kiss her forehead and look down at her.

"Are you ok now Kait?" I say and she looks up at me. She nods slightly and looks next to her. She crawls into Race's arms and hugs him. Race hugs her back and smiles. After a while, Kaitlyn goes back to me and hugs me again. I hug her back and smile. She departs from the hug and lays back in her bed.

"Are you ok to sleep now?" I ask her and she nods a little. I smile and tuck her in again. I kiss her head and smile down at her.

"Goodnight Kaitlyn, I love you," I say and she smiles widely at me.

"Goodnight Jackie! I love you too!" she says and I smile once more at her before she flips on her side again. Davey, Race, and I all quietly leave the room and turn off the lights and shut the door.

"You're a great brother. Not just to Kaitlyn, but to all of us too," Race says and smiles at me.

"Thanks Racer," I say and smile back at him.

"I see you all as my brothers too, not just my friends," I say and ruffle Race's hair. We smile at each other and walk back out to the living area.
~~~~
I hope everyone that read this enjoyed it! I enjoyed writing in this book again! Bye!