Chapter 118 | Cornered By The Devil

The explosion's force effortlessly hurled Matthew and Eko backward, their bodies tumbling through the air like fragile paper dolls caught in a gust. As they hurtled towards the sandstone ground, their instincts kicked in, and they tapped into the depths of their powers, conjuring a shimmering protective shield to wrap them in a protective cocoon.

The impact with the ground was jarring, the heat from the scorched earth seeping through their protective barrier, reminding them of the harsh reality of their situation. Gritting their teeth, they forced themselves onto their knees, arms wrapped protectively over their heads, as they braced for the relentless assault of debris and searing winds.

Amid the chaos, Eko's heart raced with panic as she frantically searched for any sign of Matthew. The world around her was a blur of destruction and flame, and the fear of losing him in this inferno was suffocating. Her resolve, which had been her anchor through the tumultuous past months, began to waver. A feeling of helplessness washed over her, and in a moment of raw vulnerability, she unleashed a primal scream into the ground.

She could almost feel the unbearable degree of heat that went over her, circling around her barrier, relentless in its efforts to burn her body alive. The world outside her protective sphere became a blur of orange and red, a living hell that sought to claim her.

"Matthew!" Eko's voice was a desperate plea, muffled by the ground into which she buried her face. She longed for his presence, for the reassurance of his strength. Yet, she knew he was out there, fighting his own battle against the flames, their powers the only thing keeping them from being burnt alive.

But fire wasn't the only threat in this inferno. Oxygen, the very essence of life, was being devoured by the hungry flames. Eko felt her chest tighten, each breath becoming a futile gasp for air. Panic clawed at her mind, urging her to flee, to escape the suffocating embrace of the fire.

As she struggled to breathe, Eko tried to inhale as much air as possible, but it seemed like her lungs weren't receiving any oxygen. Panic set in, and she contemplated a desperate escape from the protective barrier that now felt like a suffocating cage.

Matthew could sense her anxiety intensifying, and he had swiftly crossed the divide between them bridging the gap. He materialized within her barrier, his presence instantly reinforcing the barrier protecting them both. Matthew kept her hunched over, and huddled into his body, with her face pressed against the scorched earth as the inferno raged mercilessly around them.

"I'm here, I've got you!" He screamed and momentary relief flooded Eko as she felt his arms around her waist, his body shielding her from the relentless assault of their surroundings. She clung to him, her grip firm, unwilling to let go of the only stability in the midst of chaos.

For Matthew, the pain was excruciating. His heart hammered against his chest, erratic and unrelenting. A numbness crept into his fingers, and his lungs felt as though they were being squeezed, each breath a painful effort.  He knew all the warning signs were there.

When the dizziness swirled in his head, he clenched his eyes shut, determined to withstand the onslaught of symptoms. He knew he had to endure this, to ride out the storm. Protecting her was his priority, a silent vow to protect her at all costs, even as his body screamed in protest struggling to cope as it was.

Then, as abruptly as it had begun, the force that had held them in its fiery grasp dissipated. The roar of the firestorm, which had filled their ears with its deafening scream, faded into silence. The hissing that had been the soundtrack to their nightmare was now eerily absent.

Eko lifted her head, pushing her brunette hair from her face, wincing as the movement sent a sharp pain through her chest. She could feel the telltale ache of a cracked rib, a souvenir from their brutal landing.