Chapter 179 | Is God Watching The World Burn?

It is not clear why we choose the fire pathway

Where we end is not the way that we had planned

---- ---

Matthew stood alone on the broken steps leading to the moon's palace, his heart heavy with memories of a time when he believed the Princess was lost to them forever. They had grieved her passing with a grand funeral, the entire world mourning the loss. Yet, it had all been a cunning deception, a betrayal that had irrevocably altered his bond with Eko. As he stood there once more, he was acutely aware that things would never return to how they once were.

With the weight of the world pressing down on his shoulders and a deep-seated determination fueled by a thirst for vengeance, Matthew moved forward, his presence causing the soldiers around him to scatter. The sound of his sword scraping against the ground echoed ominously, announcing his arrival.

He needed his adversaries to know that he was coming for them, that he would stop at nothing until he was soaked in their blood and the worlds were free of their presence.

No matter the cost.

***** *****

The Beast unleashed his powers, causing the magic trapped within the crystal to flare brilliantly around them. Eko let out a piercing scream as an invisible blade plunged into her heart, its fiery wound burning its way through her core. She felt as though her heart was being clamped down by a vise, and her powers surged to life as the Beast withdrew.

Barely able to maintain her balance, Eko stumbled forward, her arms reaching out instinctively for the stability of the ground. But the overwhelming energy of the pure crystal proved too much for her to bear. She began to sway, her strength waning, as if she were suffocating from within.

Gasping for air, she fought to draw any breath she could, her resolve tested by the excruciating pain. But as her circulation faltered, her world started to blur, and her arms gave way With a final, desperate effort, Eko tried to rise once more, to stand against the crushing pressure, but it was too much. She collapsed, her body surrendering to the relentless force that sought to consume her.

Isis crouched next to the wheezing blonde, her gaze shifting between Eko's torment and her tear-streaked face. Eko watched in terror as the Sorceress's perverse grin broadened, her malevolent stare cutting right through her.

The next moment unfolded in a vivid explosion of color; it was the only way she could describe it. Her world was overwhelmed by reds as Isis drove the black steel blade deep into her abdomen. Eko's cry of agony pierced the air, her breaths turning into desperate gasps as the blade twisted and ripped through her flesh.

Her sky-blue eyes widened in shock, the pain from the blade's entry and the overwhelming force of the magic tearing her bones apart had sent her into shock. She immediately doubled over, clutching her stomach and hyperventilating. Blood poured from the dagger lodged into her stomach, oozing onto the dirty ground, allowing the magic to continue weaving around her in a chaotic frenzy.

Amidst the pulsating trickles of shimmering lights, Eko's eyes were fixed on the whiteness dancing playfully around her. As her vision blurred, she took a deep breath, knowing that the wound inflicted by Isis was fatal. With her fingers still gripping the wound, she could feel how fast the blood was now flowing over the blade and pooling in her hands.

Despite her experience, Eko felt fear taking hold of her as she realized that removing the blade could only hasten her death. In this harrowing moment, she felt an overwhelming sense of mortality. She was more human than she had ever felt before, her magic now completely nullified by whatever enchantment the Beast had cast over her.