Chapter 132 | Bumper Cars & The Fortune Cookies

As the bumper cars crashed into one another, sending everyone jostling across the arena, the air was filled with laughter and excited screams. The group reveled in the enjoyment of several rounds, pleasantly surprised by the creative twist Jasmine had given to the festival theme for this particular fundraiser, resulting in a fantastic turnout.

With participants hailing from various regions, the event's goal was to raise funds for crucial infrastructure. The usual sponsors, along with their families, were in attendance, making it a much-needed occasion to infuse some joy into the lives of civilians who had been impacted by the turmoil of war.

Jesse watched her friends, reflecting on the importance of events like this amidst the darkness of the ongoing conflict. It felt like a glimmer of happiness and hope, a much-welcomed respite from the harsh realities that governed their existence.

"You can't do that!" Eko's indignant shout pulled Jesse's focus back to the vibrant scene in the bumper car arena.

Under the neon blaring lights, Jesse observed the playful chaos unfolding in the bumper car arena. Despite the earlier tension with Jackson, the atmosphere had lightened, maybe, just maybe, Matthew wouldn't completely throttle her for it.

"CHEATER!" Eko's accusation rang out across the arena, causing a ripple of laughter.

Matthew, with a smirk on his face, was caught off guard as Eko rammed into his bumper car, her laughter filling the air.

"Run Eko, RUN!" Mya cheered from the sidelines, urging Eko to keep ahead of Matthew, who was in hot pursuit.

Sawyer, with a strategic move, cornered another participant, while Richie, with Mackenzie perched in his lap, joined in the laughter not far from Eko's commotion.

"KEEP GOING RICHIE, YOU'RE CATCHING UP WITH HER!" Toni's voice boomed, encouraging Richie to close the gap with Eko amidst the noisy excitement of the arena.

As the bumper car contest escalated, both genders were fiercely competing, skillfully maneuvering their cars to slam opponents into the arena walls.

***** ******

"Your soul feels tired, give it some time to sleep," Jasmine read aloud, nibbling on another piece of her fortune cookie. She contemplated the profound words with Mya, who, unfortunately, was too engrossed in the bumper car action to pay much attention. She was screaming for Eko to turn before Richie and Mackenzie could corner her.

It has a point, my soul does feel a bit overworked," Jasmine mused, examining her nails. "Maybe I just need a manicure to fix it."

Mya, still caught up in the bumper car frenzy, questioned the logic. "That didn't even make sense, how can your soul be tired?" she asked, briefly turning to watch Jasmine studying her nails.

"Praying too much for a certain someone to fall desperately in love with you," Toni teased, joining in the playful banter.

"Oh ha-ha," Jasmine replied sarcastically, her eyes rolling. "I'm sure Knox will notice my unbelievable talents soon enough, just wait!"

Toni chuckled, well aware that Jasmine had already set her sights on three different soldiers this week alone. Last week, it was Will, an attendant in the Skardence House, who had caught her fancy by simply fetching her a bottle of water on her day off.

Mya joined in the laughter, poking fun at Jasmine's series of crushes. In response, Jasmine, now visibly annoyed, hurled a fortune cookie at Toni. "Here," she said, sticking her tongue out. "Let's see what the fates hold for your smartass mouth."

Catching the cookie, Toni cracked it open and pulled out the small paper. "A new pair of shoes will do you a world of good; the cost, however, will rely on someone else's fortune."