Chapter 15

Five years ago..

"Your highness look out!"

Hana ducked and weaved the battlefield with precision, drenched in sweat and blood, she was never a princess meant to just be a pretty face. Gritting her teeth she yelled from the pits of her gut as she impaled another poor sacrifice.

She roared into battle, fending her country with her life as the Kingdom of Hephaestus fought with full force. She knew they were out numbered but with the state of their borders, and a war that had been waged, she couldn't imagine the lands of Artemis in the hands of another.

"Hana, there are too many of them—"

"Silence Jimin! Can't you see—" she hurled a man over her shoulder onto the ground, "—that I'm busy!"  She gasped as two men came charging for her only to be met by a force who parried them with ease. Jimin stood in front of her, posture strong and protective. Glaring at him, she pushed passed and fought the two men, "you don't need to fight my battles for me!"

"And you are being childish!" Jimin deflected another attack upon her as he slaughtered yet another man. "Why have pride when you're just going to throw yourself into the pits of Tartarus for all to feast upon!" The two fought back to back, surrounded by men they never knew when it would end.

"We just need to hold on for a little longer!" She gritted clashing swords with another until she gasped. Her sword had been sliced in half by the enemy's own.

"What did I tell you!" He yelled and covered her immediately. Jimin was one of the best if not The best swordsman known to the land. He fought as if he had been born with the sword; he was far too natural wielding such a weapon, no man had ever been a match for him but even for Jimin, there were limits to his abilities.

Now weaponless, Hana was vulnerable, but she knew they were close. She just needed to hold on a little longer.

Jimin was fighting for his life, and hers. Roaring through the men that attempted to even leave a scratch upon the princess but even he was nearing his end. That was until he heard a familiar whistle, and a cacophony of screams that rang after.

Loud gallops came bursting through the wall of men as he watched Hana mount The white stallion with ease, amidst the chaos, all he saw was her outstretched hand for him and as if on instinct, he took it without a doubt in his mind. Hana pulled him atop her horse as she rode quickly upon a boulder that gave them higher ground, for not even seconds after, the men and the land beneath them were swept away by a current so strong, even they nearly fell off their horse upon the impact.

The water had swept away all the men of Hephaestus, leaving Jimin in utter shock of his surroundings.

"Our men are safe." She spoke as her eyes trained upon the water as they dismounted Ceres, watching as nothing but the current raged beneath them.

Jimin whipped around to face her with wide eyes, "was this your doing?" He asked honestly baffled by what had happened.

"I had them open the flood gates. I knew we were no match for the kingdom of Hephaestus as their swords and armor are unrivaled. It was the only way."

Blown away was an understatement to Jimin. He had always known who she truly was, but the princess was someone he always thought was special, having a knack in sword fighting, and things unbecoming of a princess of the royal family, according to the queen, he never thought so since day one. She had always been a curious one, intriguing more so. Having fought battles with her before, she always seemed to keep to herself, yet today he finally saw the true colors of her. The brilliance she shined in the setting sun as he now viewed her in a light he had never viewed anyone before.

Standing there, as her dark hair billowed in the wind, her grey eyes twinkling like starlight, she had the face of royalty meant to be locked up in a castle yet, behind those eyes was something much deeper. She had a look that no princess trapped in a castle could have, a look of somberness and solidarity, a look of the realities of this world, of war and life and death.

"Why didn't you tell me." He asked but demanded, it wasn't a question. They finally met eyes and he felt like his breath had caught once that piercing gaze landed upon his.

"That is because you've yet to trust me." She said so simply.

"Of course I trust you—"

"You don't." She cut him short, "do not lie to me Sir Park. All this time you only allowed me to be a part of your men because the king had asked you, no?"

Jimin was about to say something but she was right, he decided to keep his mouth shut as he looked away.

She let out a chuckle, "I'm right aren't I." She smirked at him. "You know the queen dislikes me fighting in these wars, but I guess the only way they can have peace is to send me away and hope I get slaughtered—"

"Enough." It was Jimin's turn to bite back. "What you did today was reckless. Why would you order my men without my permission, and behind my back to do such a thing!" He yelled.

This angered her, "Do you not see what is happening around you! she walked towards him, "we only won this war because of Me!" She gestured to herself, "if I had not told your men to flee and open the flood gates, our Kingdom would be no more! Or are you just angry that I put your life at risk." She napped her finger at his chest.

Jimin was fuming beyond belief, he caught her wrist roughly and closed the distance between her as he seethed, the both could feel the anger emanating from each other, "My life may not matter but yours does."

She couldn't help but scoff, "My life is probably worth less than yours commander."

"Do not test me princess." He gritted, "your plan may have worked but never again will you do anything behind my back and put your life in danger, do you understand." He spoke firmly.

Snatching back her wrist away she turned her back against him, "I cannot promise you anything Sir Park, except no knight nor warrior would have the will to fight if not for having something worth fighting for. And as much as you probably have comments about the relationship I have with the King and Queen—" she sighed deeply, finally relaxing her shoulders she looked back at him with resolve,

"I love my Kingdom. And I will fight with every bating breath of my life for it."

She looked down upon her bloodied glove that covered her palm.

"I don't know what it is but, It feels like I've always had this purpose,"

She looked at him dead in the eye,

"And no one can take this away from me."