xii

╔.𖥸. .════════════════╗

𝗖𝗟𝗔𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗬

chapter twelveyou're the only friend I need

chapter twelve
you're the only friend I
need

╚════════════════. .❀.╝

YOUR FAULT. YOUR fault. Your fault.

The phrase replayed over and over in her head, almost like a broken record. Alyssa knew that she wasn't the only reason that Hawk and his little gang destroyed Miyagi-Do — he was probably angry that he had lost against Sam in Robby in that fight at the mall. But she was a reason. The THAT'S IT spraypainted on the fence in her favorite was a clear indicator of that.

Which is why she had to fix it.

Alyssa came to Miyagi-Do way earlier than practice was scheduled for that day. She walked into the backyard to see that Sensei LaRusso was already there, a trash bag in hand as he cleaned up all of the toilet paper and broken things around the dojo. Alyssa paused in her tracks and cleared her throat, announcing her presence. Sensei LaRusso straightened up and turned to look at her.

"Alyssa," Sensei LaRusso said, a tone of surprise in his voice.

She gave him a tight smile. "Hi, Sensei."

"Practice isn't supposed to start for a long while." He set his trash bag down on the grass and approached her. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to help clean up." She shrugged. "I couldn't stop feeling . . . guilty, I guess. Like, a part of me is to blame for Cobra Kai destroying the dojo. So, I'm here to fix it."

Sensei LaRusso stared at her for a moment. "What do you mean?"

She looked down for a moment, twisting one of the rings on her finger. "Uh, the night after the mall fight, Eli and I had an argument outside of Cobra Kai. A really big one." Images of that night plagued her mind. "I've never fought like that with him before."

"Eli. Your and Demetri's best friend, right?"

Alyssa shook her head, a sad smile on her face. "Not so much of a best friend anymore."

He nodded in understanding. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"Thanks," Alyssa replied quietly. "But . . . Eli's really deep into Cobra Kai. I think maybe the argument set him off, and . . ." She gestured around the trashed dojo. "This happened. Don't really have any concrete evidence, but I'm positive he's the one who did this."