xiii

╔.𖥸. .════════════════╗

𝗖𝗟𝗔𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗬

chapter thirteenhot n cold

chapter thirteen
hot n cold

╚════════════════. .❀.╝

ALYSSA SAT ON Sam's bed next to Moon, watching as Sam drank a smoothie that Moon had brought. It wasn't strange to see Alyssa in Sam's bedroom — they had been hanging out a lot more recently, and it was rare that somebody would see one without the other.

Moon, however, was the one who had actually called the two and asked to hang out. Alyssa was more than happy to accept — she loved Moon, and she hadn't seen her since that night at the strip mall when everything crumbled into a million pieces.

"It's . . . it's good," Sam admitted.

"It has fresh açaí, organic kale, and free-trade hemp oil," Moon explained.

"Hemp oil? I mean, this isn't gonna get me high, is it?"

Moon laughed. "I don't think so. It's supposed to balance your kinetic energy."

"I'm — I'm really glad you called," Sam told Moon, walking closer to her bed. "I missed hanging out with you."

"Same," Alyssa said. "It's nice just us being friends without a stupid fucking mohawk getting in the way." She took the smoothie from Sam and took a sip, but winced at the taste. "Oh, God. Sorry, Moon, but no."

Moon rubbed her back. "It's not for everyone."

Sam then gestured to the two workout tank tops that she had on her bed. "So, which one do you like better? I've been wearing the white top a lot."

"Well, why does it matter?" Moon asked. "You're just gonna get all sweaty."

Alyssa placed a hand on Moon's shoulder. "Oh, my darling Moon. It's because Sam here has a crush."

Sam hadn't explicitly told Alyssa about her crush on Robby, but, come on, it was pretty obvious.

"I — I don't have a crush," Sam insisted.

"Is it Robby?" Moon questioned. Sam didn't respond and glanced at her open door before walking over to close it. "Oh my God. How long have you guys been . . . ?"

Sam sat down on her bed. "We haven't." She paused for a moment. "We almost."

Alyssa's eyes widened and her jaw fell open in shock, reaching forward to smack Sam's shoulder. "Dude, you didn't tell me that."