xxix

╔.𖥸. .════════════════╗

𝗖𝗟𝗔𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗬

chapter twenty-ninethe only exception

chapter twenty-nine
the only exception

╚════════════════. .❀.╝

PUNCH. PUNCH. PUNCH.

Alyssa's eyes were narrowed in concentration as her fist made contact with the punching bag. Demetri was holding it for her, but it still moved around a lot as she continued to hit it. For the past couple of days, she had been nothing but the empathetic girl, trying to focus on being there for Eli. But at karate practice, she could be angry all she wanted in the forms of punches and kicks.

"Easy, Ally," Demetri said, staring at her in concern. She stopped for a second and looked at him, breathing a little heavily. "Save some for Cobra Kai."

"Yeah, if we're ever actually allowed to stand up to them," Sam stated bitterly from the side.

Alyssa's eyes flashed with anger. "She's right. Those fuckers messed with my boy and I can't do anything about it, and it's killing me."

Demetri raised an eyebrow. "Your boy?"

She punched the punching bag once more before dropping her fists with a sigh. "You didn't see Eli that night, Dem. I've never seen him so vulnerable before . . . at least, not since the whole Hawk transformation. He trusted me enough to let me see him like that. I had to control my rage for his sake when I saw the bruise around his neck from him literally being strangled, but since he's not here right now, I'm letting it out."

"It looks like you're three seconds away from a complete mental breakdown."

"Yeah, seems about right."

"Hey, everyone," Sensei LaRusso announced as he walked out of the house. "Gather around. I have news." All of them moved to stand near him, and Alyssa crossed her arms across her chest as he displayed a piece of paper. "The All Valley committee just announced big changes for the tournament."

"What kind of changes?" Sam asked.

"Well, see for yourself. It's a whole new ball game."

He handed the piece of paper to Sam. Alyssa peered over her shoulder to read everything. Sensei LaRusso was right — this was way different from the last All Valley tournament Alyssa had seen.

"They're introducing skills competitions?" Demetri questioned.

"Yep," Sensei LaRusso answered.